Drosophilia

by Gordon Calleja

horror

Work your depressing day job! Decorate your desk! Experience true apathy! But watch out for the twist! Maybe you’ll be all like, “Help me! Help me!”

TUID: 1tueuch06u1p7x11

Game centered on a short loop, with use of video and sound, August 1, 2020
This game has you working in a call center with 99 calls to finish. There are only a few options, including going to a cafeteria or looking out the window, before you go back to the main loop.

It uses video a lot; it seems to be autoplaying youtube videos that are so enlarged the youtube gui is off the screen (only autoplaying after you click a link, since Chrome disabled regular video autoplay, I think).

It's very abstract, and the game slowly changes. I played before looking at other reviews, but later sought ought more in case I was missing something big. I thought this game reminded me of Degeneracy (a parser implementation of the same concept), and I saw that Emily Short said the same thing years ago.

I rate games on a five point scale.

+Polish: A lot of effort went into this, and it was smooth.
+Descriptiveness: The sounds, videos, and text made the message clear.
-Interactivity: I was left wondering if I was missing something, and so it didn't work well for me.
-Emotional impact: I bounced off the high level of abstraction.
+Would I play again? I might; it was interesting, and I would try different paths.

Meh, July 14, 2020
Clicking through hyperlinks to find a path that lets you get on with the story. Time limit. Snack-sized game. Not my thing. Setting has potential though.

If you enjoyed Drosophilia...