I Didn't Really Like It Before

by Drusilla

Slice of life

It's an experience I had the other day. Bees, winter, brevity.

First Publication Date: March 18, 2016
TUID: 1b2o8uo5l5le3o4i

A brief Twine game musing about nature and honey, March 20, 2016
Someone reviewed this game saying it had "Endings for grownups", and that's accurate. This is a mature game, with an older protagonist thinking about life in a bittersweet way.

The focus is on honey, describing it in rich detail, from both scientific and aesthetic viewpoints.

A fun game, especially for foodies. Had one use of yellow font that seemed ill-advised, but only at one point.

You can shake berries from the mulberry tree onto a tatty fitted sheet, March 5, 2017
A short piece of dynamic fiction about trying some ecological fresh-from-the-comb honey for the first time. There is a little bit of interactivity, but the main draw is in the perfectly gauged prose (I was particularly impressed by the author's way of describing flavours, something I always find difficult to put into words), and the glimpses of the PC's surroundings and backstory.

The hyperlinked words often have little connection with what comes next. Moving to a new page shows the previous paragraphs with the new paragraph added: not my favourite format, but that is a taste thing, and it prevents you from losing track of the narrative. While I'm on the subject of technical details, the use of yellow text for some words is a bit of a pain, since it's almost necessary to highlight it. However, it's rare enough not to be a big issue.

Fine slice of life with an elegiac edge. Read if you want to savour some exact prose, or enjoy honey.

Grown up endings, March 20, 2016
Very informative and brief and fun!

If you enjoyed I Didn't Really Like It Before...

People who like I Didn't Really Like It Before also gave high ratings to these games:

All Hail The King!, by Luke Skytrekker
Your father the King has died in a tragic accident involving a salute of cannonry, and now you must succeed him to the throne! Elect two courtiers to your Cabinet, annoy your creepy Chancellor, and determine the fate of your realm and...

Ollie Ollie Oxen Free, by Carolyn VanEseltine
"War may sometimes be a necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each other's children." - Jimmy Carter

The Fairy Woods, by rosencrantz
Someone dear to you has disappeared into the dangerous woods of the fairy realm, and you're already on your way to save them... The Fairy Woods is an interactive fiction created in Twine for no particular reason or challenge. This story...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by drusilla on 20 March 2016 at 4:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item