Wonderland

by David Bishop, Bob Coles, Paul Findley, Ken Gordon, Richard Huddy, Steve Lacey, Doug Rabson, Anita Sinclair, Hugh Steers, and Mark Taylor

Fantasy / Literary
1990

Dream the dream...

EVERYONE HAS READ WONDERLAND...BUT ONLY ONE HAS DREAMED IT... UNTIL NOW!

The newest and largest-ever adventure from Magnetic Scrolls draws you into the bizarre logic of Lewis Caroll's spellbinding imagination. Here you will meet all the main characters from the book - the Mad Hatter, the giant caterpillar, the Queen of Hearts, the Duchess and her cook...

Here, too, you will be confronted by puzzles, puns, and conundrums, potions and mushrooms, a giant puppy and a miniature tunnel, and challenges enough to keep you within Wonderland's perplexing and magical domains for hundreds of hours.

Wonderland - written in Magnetic Windows, the radical new adventuring environment from Magnetic Scrolls - gives you over 100 stunning graphics, many of them animated... but that's not all. A mouse click on an illustration reveals information about the objects shown. Pop-up menus of appropriate commands let you play with a minimum of typing. On-screen maps and help, multiple windows, and icons for every object and room in the adventure combine to make the most sophisticated environment ever created.

It all helps, but in the end it's down to you. Have you the dreampower to dream your way through wonderland ?

License: Commercial
IFID: MAGNETIC-7
TUID: 1ajyh9lns8rldsmb

If, like me, you've always had a soft spot for Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, then I'm sure you'll enjoy the game for that reason alone. It's certainly beautifully presented with marvellous animated graphics but I have to admit to certain reservations.

For me, this is where it all began..., November 17, 2019
The origin of my interest in IF (back then called "text adventures") arises in the year 1990, when my dad brought home a pirated copy of Wonderland, including a delightful map. As a mere child at the time I was fascinated by the idea that books, which I loved, could be interactive. I was also fascinated by the extension of a previously familiar universe - Alice in Wonderland was now something you could visit, live in, interact with, explore; and look! if you stared hard enough at the map you could see the Caterpillar sitting on his mushroom, and the Queen of Hearts's palace with its observatory!

The literary quality of this game is great. It does not precisely revive Carroll's own style, but it is a wondrous tribute, with a lot of wit and atmosphere. I particularly remember my confusion at the sheet music on the piano, which contained a "key in C" coloured gold - because music comes in keys, geddit? There was also a stick insect sticking to a stick - less witty, that one. Probably the most extreme example of attention to detail is the location of the Queen of Hearts's conservatory. The conservatory is just visible in the background of one of Tenniel's illustrations in the book - a point mentioned in Gardner's "Annotated Alice" - a clue that this excellent book was consulted by the writers.

The mid-Victorian atmosphere is redolent, in writing, puzzles and graphics. I remember being delighted at the graphical image of the White Rabbit's house with a row of English poplars before the front drive; the description of the Hatter's house as containing a "breakfast room" (these rooms would face east in old timey houses to receive the morning sun), and the brass fitted telescope in the observatory. (Spoiler - click to show) From memory, I believe you look through the telescope, thus seeing a playing card many miles away on the outside of a tree house - you then walk all the way to the tree house and put your arm outside the window to access the card - isn't that delightful?

Some of the puzzles are insanely creative. The one that I most remember is an adventure game cliché - but one that I was amused actually to use for practical purposes when I was about fourteen. (Spoiler - click to show)I was locked out of my house after school; but could get into the guest-room by sticking a piece of paper under the door, and then poking a screwdriver through the keyhole thus retrieving the key on the other side. Is there any greater satisfaction for an adventure game fan than actually using the techniques of IF in real life?

Another puzzle is so insane, yet so charming, that it probably is technically badly designed but one of the most memorable things I can remember from any computer game. (Spoiler - click to show)It involves stealing an egg from the Hatter's pantry - then painting it the colour of a Pigeon's egg using paint stolen from the White Rabbit's work-shed - then walking into the woods - then eating some of the Caterpillar's mushroom - then putting the egg in your mouth - then waiting for your neck to extend as in the book - then spitting the egg out into the Pigeon's nest - then waiting to shrink again - then waiting several turns - then eating more mushroom - then taking the newly hatched Flamingo in your mouth - then waiting to shrink once more. In this way you get the Flamingo necessary to play in the famous croquet match.

Is that not delightfully insane? Who could have possibly dreamed up such a bizarre puzzle? And - how many players actually worked it out without resorting to the hints? (I certainly did not).

There is one major issue with the game. Unfortunately it concerns the actual final "mission" of the game. (Spoiler - click to show)In order to gain final victory, you need to defend the Knave of Hearts in court by producing every playing card you collected throughout the game - but they must be produced in the exact order you collected them. There is absolutely NO hint in the manual or game that you have to memorise the order; and what sort of compulsive maniac actually would remember the order by chance??

That aside, this game is a pleasure and a wonder to play. A couple of years ago, at a used book sale, I was surprised to find a boxed ancient copy of Wonderland for sale. And it was in CD Rom format!! And included the entire original manual!! (plus map!!), not the photocopy my dad brought home decades ago.

So Magnetic Scrolls' no doubt massive enforcement bureau can relax - I now have a LEGAL copy of Wonderland. And - I can still stare very hard at the map, and see the Caterpillar sitting on his mushroom.

If you enjoyed Wonderland...