A Bus Ride

by fia glas

John is taking a bus across the country when something strange happens. He and his fellow passengers try to make sense of it in their own way but John is left feeling there is no real answer at all.

HEADPHONES REQUIRED

A Bus Ride is a submission to SCREAMJAM 2018, and was made in <7 days. It was based on a story idea I had that I wasn't sure how to flesh out fully.

First Publication Date: October 21, 2018
IFID: 897FDC8F-EB1A-49FD-B471-0A8755734594
TUID: 17tpp632rh6e6pkd

Unsettling but underwhelming, October 26, 2018
Not particularly well written, from a technial point of view. For instance:

"Mom occasionally snuck a drink from her coffeecup. She always was a person who left in the teabag."

So was Mom drinking coffee or tea?

"I wasn't sure who's bag this was, it was probably someone who got off early."

That's called a comma splice.

The plot is... uh, experimental? Very much the stuff of dreams ó a situation, made up of real-world elements, which doesn't make sense but is taken totally seriously by the subjects anyway. I very much expect that this game was inspired by a nightmare the author had. The evocation of that feeling was well executed, though as you would expect from this style of writing the story can't really explain itself and doesn't offer a satisfying conclusion.

The background images are primative, and from a graphic design perspective the game is pretty ugly ó text center-aligned in the paragraph, paragraph off-center to the page, with font colours that sometimes don't work with the background colours. Even worse, just look at the splash page before you start the game! That's the real nightmare here.

I did feel the characters had some thought gone into them. I also admit I was a little unsettled throughout, so I have to give at least 2/5. Thanks for the game, fia glas :)

If you enjoyed A Bus Ride...