GerbilRiot.z5
gerbil.zip
MS-DOS Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
GerbilRiot.sna
Spectrum version

Gerbil Riot of '67

by Simon Avery

1988

"Arguably the daftest, most stupidly silly text adventure ever. Converted with tender loving care from the 8-bit original."
[author's blurb, from The (Other) TADS Games List version 1.2]

Current Version: release 2
License: Freeware (former commercial)
Development System: The Quill, Inform 6
Forgiveness Rating: Nasty
IFID: ZCODE-2-000513-24A5
TUID: 13yihrzjzw1j86uz

It is a standard adventure game with a wacky idea (as it is with most of Simon's games), strange plot and a great sense of playability.

Slightly Unhinged Fun, April 15, 2008
by somegirl (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
Related reviews: hints
I had fun with this one. The puzzles/places/NPCs were my favorite kind of bizarre. I would have liked more objects to be implemented, at least to the point of having descriptions. I guess it keeps you focused on what you actually need to interact with, but it's frustrating to read in a room description that there are interesting pictures on the wall and then that you can't see any pictures/see nothing interesting about the wall. Still, good game, I enjoyed it.

There were a couple places I got stuck, and would have liked hints rather than having to look at the solution - so here are some of the hints I could have used. They are somewhat spoilerful, so don't read unless you actually need to!

Hint 1:
(Spoiler - click to show)The film playing in the cinema is a clue. Don't immediately forget what was happening in it like I did.

Hint 2:
(Spoiler - click to show)One puzzle involves putting several objects together to make a composite object. Trying to put the pieces together yourself doesn't work, just say "make object".

Hint 3:
(Spoiler - click to show)You have to deal with the Psychiatrist before you can do anything with Harry Houdini or Arnold the Annoying. Make something old-school psychiatrists would be interested in, and then give it to him (i.e. you can't just show it to him).

Gerbil Riot of '67 on IFDB

Gerbil Riot of '67 appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Fun Games by AmberShards
These are games which are entertaining but not enduring. Play them to enjoy a spot of diversion.

Cool games I like by Seth Fisher
to be expanded

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Eq on 5 May 2013 at 4:55pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item