Spring Cleaning

by Roger Carbol profile

2008

A down-on-his-luck commoner has been hired to clean the tower of the wizard Morkenmindan.

Spring Cleaning was written as part of Spring 'Speed' IF during the last week of March, 2008. I say 'speed' because this game took something like 10 hours to write, which is still pretty speedy, really, as far as these things go.

Dedicated to the memory of E. Gary Gygax.

First Publication Date: April 6, 2008
IFID: C53104EC-E54B-4F52-9F3A-6F08F040B826
TUID: 13saf297yzgx9byz

Silly D&D Spinoff, May 21, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
This game was really fun- kind of in the vein of Janitor in spirit, but not in method of play.

You are a commoner in a Dungeons and Dragons parodied universe. You have to clean up Mordenkains Magnificant Mansion (or at least a parody of it), with your Bag of Devouring (I mean- sack of gobbling).

It's cute- all the D&D references, and a couple of simpson refrences (such as embiggen and debigulating).

It's a speed IF, and as such has some parser issues, which is to be expected. I was most upset by what appears to be a time limit- you can bump into the wizard, who then judges your progress, scores you, and ends the game. Dodging the wizard can get you a few more turns. Personally, I would rather you tell the wizard when you're done cleaning, but that might be part of the game.

It was a good parody game, fairly clever, especially given the short coding time. Worth a playthrough if you're a D&D geek like me. If not, you might not get that much out of this game.

Janitor to the Great Mordenkai-- umm, Morkenmindan!, April 14, 2008
by Ghalev (Colorado)
This fantasy title has a simple, janitorial premise: a messy wizard’s tower needs a good cleaning, and you’re just the chap for the job. “Spring Cleaning” is both easy (I, a certified meathead, got a perfect score on my second try), and fun. The imagery is spare but funny, the puzzles easy and few, and the atmosphere well-suited to its apparent design goal: a farewell nod to the late E. Gary Gygax (achieved with a brief sprinkling of references to his work, from bending bars and lifting gates to the infamous random harlot subtable of the old Dungeon Master’s Guide). It’s a cheerful five-minute whirl with a gentle touch of nostalgia.

The game’s disappointments are mostly technical, due to the “Speed IF” nature of the work. Synonyms, in particular, are in thin supply (trying to call your sack a “bag,” or trying to refer to a stack of newspapers as the “papers,” will bump your head against the parser). Similar parsing and phrasing issues were frequent distractions in my otherwise-enjoyable plays through … my hope is that the author will be encouraged enough by the game’s fans (I count myself happily among them) to create a followup release with the necessary spiffs. With a fresh coat of bug-fixes, this is a game I’d happily recommend to my gaming buddies.

If you enjoyed Spring Cleaning...