under.z5
ported to Inform by the author
underoos.gam
underoos.sit
Mac OS Application (Compressed with StuffIt. Free StuffIt Expanders are available for most systems at www.stuffit.com.)
underoos.zip
Contains UNDEROOS.GAM
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
underoos.sol
solution

The Underoos that Ate New York!

by G. Kevin Wilson

Children's/Science Fiction
1994

Looks like that meteor crash from page 12 wasn't as harmless as everyone was expecting: now your clothes are playing mad!
[blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

A five-room example game for Whizzard's ADV.T rewrite (WADV).
[blurb from The (Other) TADS Games List version 1.2]

Current Version: Release 1
IFIDs:  TADS2-1C0E019C5F964EEF610E18CC3F19DB43
TADS2-A866FF123D682EE411112D277321E1E8
ZCODE-1-970329-774F
TUID: 055wty792vfyamss

Nominee, Best NPCs - 1996 XYZZY Awards

A nice little game with a quirky sense of humor. The premise: You wake up one morning to find that your clothing has come to life. You must subdue each item before you can wear it. Easy but enjoyable.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

This is a very small game with only five locations but it is well written without any obvious spelling mistakes and bugs. To enter into the spirit of the game I would say that I laughed my socks off all through it and was quite disappointed when the game finished at the front door.

A Funny And Nostalgic Little Game, June 3, 2020
by Zoe Victoria (Under your bed)
Related reviews: ridiculous but fun, Braille Note Apex
In The Underoos That ATe New York, you play as a bachelor in his simple home who witnessed a meteor fall in Central Park. A while later, he discovered that the cosmic radiation from said meteor resulted in the outfit he was wearing coming to life. though now that I think about it, that doesn't really explain why (Spoiler - click to show)His closet was empty since he was only wearing five pieces of clothing that day.

But minor plot hole aside, I enjoyed playing through this game on my school's braille note apex, it was one of the eight or so games that came on the device, and the first one I managed to win with little to no assistance from the walkthrough. In fact I beat it so many times I ended up seeing how quickly I could beat itt. Yup, I speed ran before I knew it was a thing. I think my record's about two minutes, it's hard to remember.

Once that got old I started typing in random commands to see what would happen. Ones that actually did something included (Spoiler - click to show)Kissing Cindy repeatedly (i thought they were going to the bedroom to sleep, I was so innocent back then) And (Spoiler - click to show)Eating the glow stick and turning into a werewolf.

In conclusion, TutaNY is a quick little game with a good sense of humor and fairly easy difficulty (a ten-year-old could figure it out) that'll make you afraid of your socks and feel sympathy for a pair of shoes. (Spoiler - click to show)Seriously, I felt really Bad for shutting the things in the fridge, smelly as they were. They seemed so cute, and really does this guy own one pair of shoes as well as one pair of underwear? I mean I know he's a man (sexism not intended) but really? So check this game out if you can if you're looking for a short, silly, and relatively easy experience. And don't be afraid to try some random stuff, you won't regret it.

Fun and silly, April 6, 2008
by somegirl (Minneapolis, Minnesota)
This was a fun little game with plenty of wacky descriptions and puzzle solutions that made us giggle. Quick and enjoyable!

Little sister's review (age 10 years): Awesomeness. I liked it, but it should have been longer!
(Spoiler - click to show)We had a blast being killed by evil socks!

A cute little game about mutant clothing, May 13, 2020
In this relatively short game set inside your house, you wander about trying to deal with your clothing that has come to life. You have to subdue and wear each piece to win.

The clothing acts like NPCs, and are pretty amusing. The puzzles are light and I finished in 15 minutes.

The story is simple, the puzzles are simple, the writing is plain, but the game concept and execution is a lot of fun.

Short fun game.

Edit:
I changed my scoring system after I gave my original 2 star review. My new system uses these criteria:

Polished: I encountered no bugs and only a few whitespace issues.
Descriptiveness: It's a little spare but is packed with jokes.
Emotion: It is funny, if a bit silly.
Interactivity: I found the puzzles satisfying.
Would I play again? Probably not. I didn't think of it until a commenter reminded me.

If you enjoyed The Underoos that Ate New York!...

People who like The Underoos that Ate New York! also gave high ratings to these games:

Each-uisge, by Jac Colvin
There is an old adage: When you hear hoofbeats, think horses. However that particular piece of advice does not always hold true.

Impostor Syndrome, by Dietrich Squinkifer (Squinky)
You're giving a talk at a big important tech conference. But do you really deserve to be here, or were you selected just to fill a diversity quota? Originally published under the name "Georgiana Bourbonnais".

Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck, by Christopher Brendel
Average member rating: (1 rating)
Jump to hyperspace aboard the Lady Luck, the fastest starship in the galaxy! Join her ragtag crew of space pirates, or infiltrate their ranks, working undercover for the Galactic Police. "Treasure Seekers of Lady Luck" is an interactive...

The Underoos that Ate New York! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Silly/goofy/purposely bad games by MathBrush
These are games that are funny because they are ridiculous or completely absurd. This does not include games like Tex Bonaventure or Rogue of the Multiverse which have developed plot lines and long stretches of non absurdity.

Justifiable Jokes by Walter Sandsquish
So, I download a game and fire up the 'terp. A dozen or two moves later, I discover that the game is pretty absurd and is already finished. Mostly, this makes me roll my eyes, but these made me smile too.

Fun Games by AmberShards
These are games which are entertaining but not enduring. Play them to enjoy a spot of diversion.

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Daniel Gunnell on 2 February 2018 at 7:33am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item