Mask.z5

Masquerade

by Kathleen M. Fischer

Historical/Romance
2000

"You walk purposefully down the sidewalk, looking neither left nor right. You don't need to look; you can tell you are being watched from whispers overheard as you pass by.

"Poor Amelia..." you hear somebody say. Poor Amelia, indeed. You hurry on, not caring to hear any more.

Reaching the Lucky Strike, you force yourself to climb the steps and push open the doors, stopping just inside to let your eyes adjust to dim light." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 4
IFIDs:  ZCODE-3-000930-937F
ZCODE-4-010122-2D67
TUID: zws1j2x2yiqywywi

Off-Site Reviews

"Masquerade" is an excellent work of story-based IF in a little-used genre (romance, specifically, Civil-War era romance). It is perhaps the most immersive game I've played yet this year. When I started playing, my mind was still spinning with outside thoughts and residual stress. Soon, I became utterly engrossed in the well-sketched gameworld and all else faded to black.
-- Suzanne Britton

It's interesting. I'm not a big romance story fan, but I am a fan of historical romance... perhaps because I'm a big fan of historical -anything-. And this story is set in a period that I find fascinating. So right from the start, I was interested.

But it wouldn't have held if the game wasn't so extremely well constructed....

-- Tina Sikorski

The plot is fairly linear but there are several forks which lead to different endings based on your decisions - apparently there are 12 different endings.
-- Dorothy Millard

[This review is based on the competition release.]

Between the bugs and my inability to get anywhere with the puzzles (or even find them), I didn't enjoy Masquerade nearly as much as I wanted to. If you haven't played it yet, wait for the next release -- the author has always shown a strong commitment to fixing problems, so I've no doubt there will be one. Once the bugs have been fixed and better hints are available, Masquerade will have a great deal to offer fans of genre romance. In this incarnation, though, I'm afraid it was a bit of a disappointment.

Page Update History

v.6: 25-Mar-2013 08:51 - Edward Lacey (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
v.5: 11-May-2008 19:03 - Emily Short