Mystman.taf
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
Mystman.bak
A backup of a slightly different version of the Adrift executable that the author forgot to delete before sending in her entry to the competition organizer
Moody.mid

Mystery Manor

by Dana Crane

Haunted House
2001

"You have been driving down this dusty dirt road for nearly 45 minutes now, when a light rain begins to fall. You have spent the past two hours driving on the interstate, and are anxious to get to the manor, which you purchased at a reduced rate. It seems that it has been on the market for a few years, and no one was even interested in it the house, because of the strange disappearance of the family that lived there.

You go through the stories in your mind about the family that lived here. You dismiss all the stories you have heard about the family being abducted by aliens, walking away from their lives, a crazy murderer killing them and eating their rotting flesh. It is all nonsense to you. You'll have pleanty of time to go through the house, and just maybe you'll find out the truth." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-390-A1E7310F3EE468F3827D150B3FB40B94
TUID: uhdxzcd65myz12xy

Off-Site Reviews

I played this game on Halloween. I was alone in the house. The lights were off. There was a full moon outside. I was experiencing an eerie lull in the trick-or-treating. I could not have been more primed to be creeped out, frightened, and made into a paranoid wreck. Sadly, even when conditions are perfect, this game falls far short of effectiveness in the creep-out arena. The only thing that's really scary about it is its writing... It's too bad this game didn't give out points every time I spotted an error, because if it did, I think I'd have earned 524,000 points out of a possible 200, earning me the rank of Gibbering Grammarian.

Page Update History

v.3: 24-Apr-2008 18:40 - Paul O'Brian (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed external review links