Story File (Eurydice.2)
Update of competition release.
Original competition release.
Feelies
This is a pseudo-format used to represent download adviser records that apply to multiple formats. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Eurydice

by Anonymous

Mythological
2012

A short game about grief, with occasional snakes.

First Publication Date: September 30, 2012
IFID: FFA6C31A-1543-463E-B66A-0B37683BB1BB
TUID: d75pric1fdfi75bd

Off-Site Reviews

Rock Paper Shotgun
Interacting With Fictions: Eurydice
It’s poignant, beautiful misery, and yet there are dry aches of wit everywhere: We are, we divine, in the home we shared with Celine and our housemates, where a collection of well-meaning mourners has gathered in the living room (“you could always just retreat,” the game promises). We do not want to have to talk to them, but should the player engage their conversation, the result is a brilliant illustration: Social obligation wars with private grief, discomfort and awkwardness hangs like a pall. We can’t intrude on what they’re feeling, but privately we feel they have no right to invade on our mourning.

Emily Short's Interactive Storytelling
Happily, Eurydice manages better than many other pieces in the same general genre of “slice of life when life totally sucks”, and this is largely down to the writing... the writing mostly bears up under the considerable weight put on it. It’s not easy to capture the cold formal feeling of having just lost someone, or to expose the yowling misery underneath without becoming unendurably cheesy.

Adventure Gamers
Playing the game is an emotionally draining experience, but one that is well worth taking on.

Page Update History

v.11: 02-Oct-2015 17:15 - Edward Lacey (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed external review links