beet.zip
Contains Beet.gam
solution
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Beet.gam
solution

The Beetmonger's Journal

by Scott Starkey profile

2001

"Victor Lapot and I were miles from base camp on the south continent, once again hacking through previously unsurveyed lands and searching for forgotten cultures. The expedition reminded me of our grand adventures of old, that is, if I ignored Lapot's 100-man paparazzi tirelessly trailing us." [--blurb from Competition Aught-One]

IFIDs:  TADS2-F8B46DFEC6AFC22588114B04DD44872E
TADS2-F725DC2F7D2BB178C864101CA4AC90F5
TUID: afh45yknmlx26x54

Off-Site Reviews

There's definitely a lot going for this game. It's well written, and its dead-serious treatment of a conflict between the general populace and the secret order of beetmongers made for an amusing atmosphere. The treatment of perspective in the game is interesting as well. You start the game as Aubrey, but all your commands influence what Lapot does, and the game responds with Aubrey's interpretation of what happens. Avielle's section is in the past tense, so it seems that what you do is simply what is recorded in the journal Lapot is translating. Those are very nice touches.
-- Cameron Wilkin

I have to say, I was quite impressed with all [the] POV manipulation -- I think it was the best part of the whole game. I got excited just thinking about the possibilities for parallel action and dramatic irony that this technique opens up. This particular game doesn't take much advantage of these possibilities, but it does a fine job of breaking new ground on the trail blazed by games like Being Andrew Plotkin.

Page Update History

v.6: 10-Apr-2013 16:02 - Edward Lacey (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed external review links