shadows.t3
competition release
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.

shadows on the mirror

by Chrysoula Tzavelas profile

Superhero
2003

I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe...

Language: English (en-US)
IFID: TADS3-81644EEDDD4F783162BACD3BFEBFA2DB
TUID: 2gddzk6gmvnq66u1

Off-Site Reviews

It's kind of like the third quarter of a really close (American) football game. Sure, the score is tied at 24, but that's what it was at the half, and you're not down to the wire yet, because it's still the third quarter. Or maybe it's like the second to last chapter in a short novel -- all the really good stuff has already happened, and all of the explanations are saved for the last chapter, so even though you're in a great story, it isn't happening now. It's already happened, or it's going to, but everything that happens in Shadows is subtle and under the surface.
-- Jessica Knoch

The game's writing really worked for me -- it described the scene vividly and with judicious use of metaphors. The NPC's diction felt appropriately mysterious and foreboding, and I thought that many of the details were well-chosen to paint a picture of a PC whose life combines the ordinary and the extraordinary in a plausible way. The implementation was reasonably deep, though it could have been deeper for such a small environment. The same goes for the NPC; he seemed to have some very basic emotional modeling, but the game didn't provide verbs like THANK or APOLOGIZE to let me interact enough with that emotional state. Still, he was able to answer a generous set of topics, and I felt intrigued and tantalized by the answers he gave. At the end, though, I felt like I still hadn't really gotten the point, which I suppose is another way of reiterating that the game just didn't provide enough to feel satisfying. I guess the fact that I wanted a lot more of Shadows proves that what was there was a very good start.

Page Update History