devours.z5
devours.z5
original competition entry
Hints
Some hints on the author's website.
Walkthrough
A walkthrough on the author's website.

All Things Devours

by half sick of shadows

Time Travel
2004

From the game's about command:

"All Things Devours is a short piece of interactive fiction, leaning strongly towards the text-adventure end of the spectrum. It explores an all-too-familiar science fiction paradigm in what I hope is a rather refreshing and satisfying manner. However, due to the intrinsic nature of its subject matter, it is more cruel than one might hope for a modern piece of interactive fiction. In particular, any move you make may put things into an unwinnable state. You are therefore encouraged to save frequently, and also to realise that you will probably have to start over several times to find the most satisfactory ending."

License: Public Domain
Forgiveness Rating: Cruel
IFIDs:  ZCODE-1-040930-70E3
ZCODE-3-050325-6D3F
TUID: 5e23lnq25gon9tp3

3rd Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Winner, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Use of Medium - 2004 XYZZY Awards

22nd Place - Interactive Fiction Top 50 of all time (2011 edition)

Anyway, after a while, all these issues didn't seem to matter. The reason for that was, well, let's call it the puzzle framework of the game. It's mostly based on the idea of time-travelling; sure, there are enough text adventures using this concept (beginning with the classic Sorcerer by Infocom), but scarcely any implementing it as consistent and consequent. And I use the term "framework" on purpose: the whole game is built around and determined by constructing a sequence of actions leading to success. (There are multiple paths to victory, by the way.) While doing that, the player has to account for a number of time-travel side effects and paradoxes, some of which he can use to his benefit, while others are to avoid. It was a real thrill.
-- Valentine Kopteltsev

The technical aspect is where the game really shines. As both a player and an author, it was easy for me to see the intricate ballet that the various pieces of code have to participate in, in order to create the desired effects, and the author pulls it off impeccably. Also, there are no spelling or grammar errors of any kind, which I could spot.
-- Joao Mendes

[T]he game is eminently worth playing just for its clever premise and a couple of excellent puzzles. It may play a bit fast and loose with its concept, and its ending may be a bit anticlimactic, but I highly recommend it nonetheless.

Exhilarating, wonderful game!, June 18, 2009
For anyone who ever thought you could do better than the characters in your favorite science fiction novel, this is your chance. Part of the fun is realizing what lengths you have to go through, in order to solve what seems like a relatively simple problem, and I don't want to spoil one bit of that realization, so I won't go into any more details.

I will admit that due to an unfortunate coincidence near the start of the game, I drew a completely wrong inference that led me down a very non-optimal path. Normally this would have been frustrating because of how long it would take to unravel my error. Instead I got to play the game for five times longer than necessary, and I enjoyed every second of it! And it was still possible to win by going down my path, and very enjoyable to craft the solution.

This game is a masterful example of what IF is capable of, and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It is uniquely suited to IF. I don't know if there is another game out there quite like it, but I certainly hope so!

Intricate Logical Puzzle, December 31, 2007
by Victor Gijsbers (The Netherlands)
Related reviews: puzzle, time travel, logic
This game is exactly one puzzle--but what a puzzle. If you like your puzzles logical, requiring in principle no more than strict deduction from a complex set of premisses, then you will love this game. Once you've found out how the game world works, there is nothing arbitrary anymore; there are no intuitive leaps, no bizarre associations; you just need to think carefully. The effect is a little like a chess puzzle, where'll you try out some moves, notice what goes wrong, think deep and hard, and finally arrive at the solution.

I highly recommend it.

Satisfying, October 31, 2007
by Nusco (Bologna, Italy)
Related reviews: IF Competition 2004
A clever and funny time-travel puzzle game where you play a scientist trying to save the world from her own invention. Coherent setting and puzzles and a genuine sense of urgency make this one lift off. A bit confusing at times, but ultimately deeply rewarding.

If you enjoyed All Things Devours...