beebgames.zip *
AdamsGames.zip *
zx.zip *
trs.zip *
pirate.hex
For all systems. To play, you'll need a Hugo interpreter - visit the Hugo home page for download links.
C64adv.zip *
atari8gm.zip *
SAhints.zip *
hint sheet and map in GUEmap format
Sols3.zip *
Sols2.zip *
jgunness.zip *
walkthrough
AdamsHints.tar.Z
hint sheet
(Compressed with the Unix-style .tar.Z "tarball" format. Free unpacking tools are available for most platforms.)
AdamsHints.zip *
hint sheet
adamssol.zip *
VMC10_073D.zip *
Contains VMC10.exe
Type CLOAD & hit ENTER. Select PIRATE1.​C10 in the JimG subdirectory of the Cassette directory. Type RUN...
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)

Pirate Adventure

by Scott Adams and Alexis Adams

Episode 2 of Scott Adams Classic Adventures
Pirates
1978

Only by exploring this strange island will you be able to uncover the clues necessary to lead you to your elusive goal -- recovering the lost treasures of Long John Silver.
Converted from original code by Paul David Doherty.
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

ZCODE-1-980329-8694
TUID: zya3mo3njj58hewi

Translations:
Aventura Pirata, by Mauricio Diaz Garcia
Piratenabenteuer (Pirate Adventure), by Scott Adams, Alexis Adams, Christian Bluemke

The second game by the legendary Scott Adams, with considerably more thematic unity than his first. It involves a search for buried treasure, but the bulk of the game is spent building your ship. Two-word parser (except the Hugo port), minimal detail, some nice puzzles, a few misspellings, and a modicum of irony. One of Adams' more satisfying games.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

Designers would do well to briefly dip into Pirate Adventure to observe how it manages to create a solid and evocative setting with so few words, and how the puzzles and objects are interlinked with such economy. But that is all. Pirate Adventure has little to commend itself to the modern player, though it was great in its day.
-- David Jones

Challenging and yet enjoyable, August 11, 2010
by AmberShards (The Gothic South)
I remember playing this whenever my family would visit my mom's friend, way, way back in the day (yes, that's two "ways", so you know this was just a few years after dinosaurs ruled the earth). I never associated this with Scott Adams, so I was really surprised when I redownloaded it recently, wondering if This Game was That Game. Why didn't Scott Adams come to mind, you might be wondering? Adventureland left an awful taste in my mouth with its tons of ways to die and epic death phrases such as "Bees sting you." Pirate Adventure, however, was much more fair, and had atmosphere, something I appreciated at a visceral level even back then. The puzzles ranged from easy to challenging, but none of them were frustrating to the point of making me want to bash my head in. I also appreciated the major goal of the game: building a ship. It wasn't something I knew a whole lot about, and there were some leaps of logic required, but the novelty factor helped quite a bit. I'm sure if I grew up in the shipyard I would have been howling about the lack of realism.

Now with all that said, the parser is still primitive. There's still the lack of helpful responses more often than not. However, because the game is paced well, with puzzles usually ramping up in difficulty as the game progresses, you're left with feeling a sense of achievement. In contrast, Adventureland was more like running around into a series of dead ends. PA is also linear, so here's fair warning if you dislike that in games. (Usually I detest that, so there's something to be said for this game in that alone.)

All in all, PA is one of Scott Adam's best, and if you're willing to put up with the neolithic-age parser for ten minutes, you just might end up playing the game for much longer.

Best Scott Adams game, April 28, 2016
by Robin Johnson (Scotland)
This is the best of the Adams adventures, and worth playing to see what can be done under extremely constrained writing and programming conditions. The fact that the setting and characters are hackneyed actually works in its favour combined with the ultra-tersed descriptions: if you spend three paragraphs describing an eye-patched, hook-handed, wooden-legged scurvy buccaneer, you're just indulging in cliche, but if all you have space for is "You're on a desert island. There is a pirate here", the fact that those things already exist in full colour in the player's mind makes it a much more vivid experience.

A fun minimalistic pirate adventure, June 5, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This is Scott Adam's second game, and fits into just a few kB of data; it's really miraculous how well it works, and I liked it better than Adventureland.

This game forces you to conjure up your own explanations of things; a hidden passage, a bloody book, black mamba snakes, etc. are described only once. There is no desire for mimesis, just for game.

Having played these games has given me much more respect for Scott Adams' work.

If you enjoyed Pirate Adventure...

People who like Pirate Adventure also gave high ratings to these games:

You are Standing at a Crossroads, by Astrid Dalmady
You are Standing at a Crossroads is a short Twine story about being lost, being changed, and being stagnant.

Abusive Relationship Simulator, by porree
A 299-word-experience about the thrilling adventures that await you in an emotionally abusive relationship. Made for the Twiny Jam.

Fingertips: Something Grabbed Ahold of My Hand, by Melvin Rangasamy
You have been imprisoned but your crime can't have been that bad, as they're giving you a chance to escape- if you're smart enough! A one move parole board for Apollo 18+20: The IF Tribute Album.

The following polls include votes for Pirate Adventure:

Calling all Scott Adams fans... YOU PICK: I'll Play by diddlescatter
Okay, I've never played a Scott Adams game (*gasp!*), and I can't decide where to start. So here's my question to all you seasoned pros out there: IF I WERE TO PLAY JUST ONE SCOTT ADAMS GAME IN MY LIFE, WHICH ONE SHOULD I PLAY? Cast your...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

First IF that you have ever played by BlitzWithGuns
What is the first IF that you have ever played? The game that made you love the concept of IF?

This is version 12 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 28 March 2017 at 7:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item