Draculaland

- Wanderlust, July 29, 2017

- IFforL2 (East Asia), January 24, 2017

- EngineerWolf (India), December 18, 2016

Jay Is Games

"Campy, wonderfully silly, and packed to the gills with supernatural mayhem, Robin Johnson's text-based adventure Draculaland puts the Bram Stoker classic in your hands with a very liberal comedic twist or ten."

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- Felix Pleșoianu (Bucharest, Romania), October 31, 2016

- <blank>, September 25, 2016

- Denk, May 29, 2016

- Sobol (Russia), May 22, 2016

Fangs for the memories, April 5, 2016
Superterse descriptions, minimal plot or characterization, semi-nonsensical puzzles: all the hallmarks of a classic Scott Adams text adventure (even the title seems to be a reference to Adventureland).

No graphics, but playing on the web gives a cool 2-window point-and-click experience that works very nicely - I hope to see this form used in future parser-based games.

The game is very well-written, with tongue firmly in cheek (i dug the card-shark skeleton), and just enough background to keep you invested. Sure, the puzzles can be pretty obscure, but good, detailed "Invisiclues"-style hints are provided.

Fun, casual, creative, stylish IF game, March 28, 2016
I thought this was a really fun diversion. I play games to relax, and often times don't want to put a huge effort into them (games are play, not work, yes?), so I liked that it was a choice based game instead of a parser based game.

The writing is clever and not overwrought. The puzzles are difficult enough to be challenging without being frustrating, and the hint system is un-spoilery so that it helps if you get stuck without leading too much. The layout and formatting of the game is clever and fits with the theme. There are some extras which are fun to reveal.

All in all, a fun game.

Play it!

A longish link-driven parser game about Dracula and Van Helsing, March 19, 2016
Draculaland gave me several hours of playtime, even though I resorted to hints near the end of my playing time. It uses an innovative system where it is a parser, but all commands are chosen by clicking buttons instead of typing them in.

This is definitely a parser with some web UI thrown in as opposed to games such as Hallowmoor or the Axolotl Project which were Twine games but with heavy parser elements.

The parser effect is achieved by having an actual parser on half of the screen, with commands passed to it when you click on the buttons on the right-side (which consists of an inventory and room description).

The big worry here of course is that the button system might detract from the freedom of the parser, and that was my experience at first. It was difficult going back and forth between the two interfaces, and I felt like I was just trying every button in every situation.

However, as the game progressed, the dual interface became more natural, and as the inventory and its options grew, I was no longer able to get anyway by random button presses. I had to resort to the hallmark of the parser system, which is planning and carrying out a complex sequence of events.

Overall, I found the writing charming when the game wasn't being frustrating. That ended up being the one drawback of the game; I felt that many of the puzzle solutions, even in hindsight, didn't make sense or didn't allow for reasonable alternatives. (Spoiler - click to show)For instance, I felt like you should be able to distract the magpie with shiny objects or hide the keys in the box or bury them or kill the bird in its nest, or that you could slow the flies down by having them get drunk just like you did with the Magpie, etc. However, I would still rank the puzzles in the top half of all adventure games, especially for a patient player.

Overall, I recommend it; as an experiment, it's worth spending some time with, and as a game, it should appeal to the minimalist Scott Adams fans (which includes me).

- E.K., March 17, 2016