oppositely-opal.gblorb
Walkthrough and map
Verbose walkthrough (and one-room map) by David Welbourn.

Oppositely Opal

by Buster Hudson profile

You've practiced long and hard for PotionComp, but Grusilda won't give up her title so easily. UGH! Curse that Grusilda!

A one-room potion-brewing spell-casting parser puzzler, where things might go opposite the way you planned.

First Publication Date: February 16, 2015
TUID: z3scyumvgsr75blm

Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2015 XYZZY Awards

Entrant overall; 2nd Place, Overall; 2nd Place, Best Writing; 2nd Place, Best Story; 1st Place, Best Puzzles; 1st Place, Best Technical - ParserComp 2015

Fantastic! Loved it!, January 17, 2016
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)
I really enjoy one room escape puzzles so I gave this one a go. Unlike many of the other so-called "one room puzzles", this one really is restricted to a single room (yay!). The puzzles were really tricky at some points but with some creativity I was able to get through the whole game without using my cat. The only place that tripped me up was getting the last ingredient. (Spoiler - click to show)I knew I had to put the golem in the trunk because he is the only object the game allowed me to place there. I also knew I had to have him fetch something for me, so I tried "fetch (object)" and he would bring me random stuff since he didn't know the names of anything. After an hour or so I broke down and looked at the walkthrough and saw all I needed to do was say "fetch." I am not sure why this didn't even occur to me, but it didn't. Other than that I had no problems completing the game, and I really enjoyed the entire thing! It was very satisfying to solve, and it was funny, too. :)

p.s. In case the author is reading these comments, I found a few bugs.
(Spoiler - click to show)1) If you POTPOURRI the stuffed puffin and then YOUDEAD the puffin, he will fly around the stuffed version of himself, looking for fish.
2) If you POTPOURRI the sky and then try it again, it will say something like "You have already cast that spell on the ."
3) There is a typo early in the game... instead of the word "stink" it said "stick".

A valley-girl one-room witch puzzle with interesting puzzle system, February 3, 2016
In this game, you play a witch who has been confined to a single room during a potion competition. You must brew a potion to win, however, you suffer a major disadvantage, because there is something wrong with your magic.

I was hesitant about this game at first, because I found the language annoying (imagine the writing by Anna from Frozen: "I am SO going to catch her!"). Also, the first few puzzles were almost trivial.

However, I realized as time went on that the writing produced a consistent and interesting worldview (as the backstory unfolded), and that the first puzzles were just an easy tutorial. The game got progressively more difficult, until I needed 3 hints to get through puzzles.

The hints are very mild, provided entirely by your cat's actions.

There's a few red herrings in this game, and a bit of 'guess the author's brain', but by the time I finished, I realized that I genuinely enjoyed this game.

Nice :), April 30, 2016
This is a really good game!

If you enjoyed Oppositely Opal...

Other members recommend these games for people who like Oppositely Opal, or gave both high ratings:

To Hell in a Hamper, by J. J. Guest
Professor Pettibone, eminent Victorian balloonist, has a problem. He can't get it up. His balloon that is. If he can't reach an altitude of 20,000 feet, and soon, both he and his mysterious travelling companion Hubert Booby will be...

Hard Puzzle 3 : Origins, by Ade McT
It's not fair. First day on the new job, and it looks like the end of the world is happening. A silly little Speed-IF. But can you solve it? Hall of Fame: CMG Deboriole

At Wit's End, by Mike Sousa
"A case study of Murphy's Law in action. In-game hints available." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Oppositely Opal appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

Best of 2015 (pre-IF Comp) by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that have been released this year so far. I'm sure I've missed some good ones. I'm also including some I haven't yet played. PLEASE comment if you think any other games belong on this list.

Games that made me smile by MathBrush
I wanted to do a list of comedy games, but I think people rarely think "I want to play a comedy game"; to me, the phrase brings up some kind of jokey, goofy game, like many of the poorly made Twine games that people make now. Instead,...

The following polls include votes for Oppositely Opal:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible implementations of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Implementation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

Games with unique hint systems by delano
I'm looking for games that offer hints in any way, except for printing them in sequence on the screen. For example: characters that offer hints; objects that, when examined or used in a certain way, suggest actions to the player; etc.

Fun single-room games by Jeff Sonas
My kids (9 and 12) like to play IF games on my phone during car drives so they are looking for something quick and fun that doesn't require much mapping. What single-room adventures are out there?

This is version 7 of this page, edited by David Welbourn on 19 June 2015 at 9:58pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item