Zork II (Windows) *
Defaults - All Systems Application
Zork II
Z machine
Zork Trilogy Maps *
Maps for Zork 1, 2, and 3 in the GUEmap format.
GUEmap file. Requires the GUEmap viewer - visit http://www.cjmweb.net/GUEmap for information.
Hints
Scroll past the Zork I hints for few helpful tips.
Solution *
Solutions to many IF games including Zork I - III

Zork II

by Dave Lebling and Marc Blank

Episode 2 of Zork
Fantasy / Zorkian / Cave crawl
1981

The Wizard appears, floating nonchalantly in the air beside you. He grins sideways at you.

The Wizard incants "Fantasize," but nothing happens. He shakes his wand. Nothing happens. With a slightly embarrassed glance in your direction, he vanishes.

Expect the unexpected when you take on Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz.

As you explore the subterranean realm of Zork, you'll continually be confronted with new surprises. Chief among these is the Wizard himself, who'll constantly endeavor to confound you with his capricious powers. But more than that, you'll face a challenge the likes of which you've never experienced before.

Difficulty: Advanced

Adapted from Zork, by Tim Anderson, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, and Dave Lebling

Spoofed by Pork 2: The Gizzard of Showbiz, by Bill Larkins
Followed by sequel Zork III, by Dave Lebling, Marc Blank

Adventure Classic Gaming

Gameplay follows the tradition set by the previous game of the trilogy. It is totally absorbing. You meet the Wizard of Frobozz very early on when he tries to prevent you from completing your quest. He also appears at random places throughout the game and casts various spells at you that can delay you considerably, but it is well worth noting the names of them. [...] From the perspective of an adventure gamer with a passion for interactive fiction, I really enjoy the complexity of some of the puzzles. They require an awful lot of thinking!
-- Karen Tyers

Zork II picks up where its predecessor left off in many ways -- the beginning deposits you inside the barrow that had marked the end of Zork I, your trusty lamp and sword are by your side, and your mission seems at the outset to be more treasure-gathering. But Zork II parts company with the first of the series in a variety of important ways as the game progresses -- that sword is useful, but in a way far more interesting than hack-and-slash -- and the changes suggest that the folks at Infocom were interested less in putting out more of the same than in refining their product and heightening ths challenge.
-- Duncan Stevens

As usual in Infocom games there are plenty of puzzles, some easy and some very tricky. You meet many characters including a princess, (who is helpful), a dragon, a lizard's head embedded in a wall, (I never managed to locate his body) and a dog with three heads - a real pet once you give him what he wants.
-- Joan Dunn

A fantastic retooling of material from MIT Zork, with some new material, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: Infocom, 10+ hours
Zork II incorporates my favorite puzzles from MIT Zork: the palantirs, the tea room, the round room, the robot, the volcano, the glacier room. The dragon (a callback to Adventure) was a fun challenge, and the two or three NPCs made the game quite fun. I enjoyed watching the wizard travel around zapping me.

I prefer Zork I's treasure drop off system, however. It was annoying having a huge pile of treasure, not knowing what to do with it.

I used a walkthrough on a few places (especially the oddly-angled room), because I wanted to see the whole game. Having completed MIT Zork before made some of the hardest puzzles trivial.

More Zorkian Fun, January 16, 2010
by tggdan3 (Michigan)
I was a fan of Zork I since I played it at 10 years old on my grandmother's PC. I was excited to get into Zork II.

Now, after playing the Mainframe Dungeon, I see that Zork II is just a bunch of puzzles that wouldn't fit into Zork I anywhere, which is all fun.

You still have to manage your inventory, and it's difficult to get a permanent light source until most of the game's done anyway. (Spoiler - click to show)Once you get the wizard's wand, you can point it at an item and say "Fluoresce" and the item will permanently glow. Or, if you take too long, the wizard may cast this spell on you, making it impossible to win the game.

This game does have some impossible puzzles, such as the infamous baseball puzzle, which set the standard for what not to do in a puzzle, and the bank puzzle, which is really ingenious but horribly under-clued. Then there's the spinning room, which can be more of a nuisance than anything. Most frustrating, however is the Wizard. If you remember how pissed you were in Zork I when the thief showed up and stole your torch, you'll really get mad at the wizard, who randomly shows up and casts spells on you, sometimes causing you instant death (such as making you go into a frenzy while on a cliff, or freezing you in place near a lit bomb), or sometimes wasting precious light (freezing you wastes time while the lamp counts down), or even stealing treasures from you.

As in previous Zorks, you can be brought back to life, but many times your death still makes the game unwinable.

However, this is what added to the appeal of Zork I. I fondly remember as a child becoming nervous when my lamp got a bit dimmer. Even more so now, with no torch to fall back on. And the randomization makes the game have just a little bit more replay value. I'd even go out on a limb and say this is the best of the three Zork games, in term of fun (and certainly challenge- anyone who bests the baseball puzzle without hints is a master of all IFs.)

Okay, yet ripped off a bit., January 16, 2010
by NosesAreAlive (Noseland, Noseland)
I feel like this is a bit ripped off of Alice in Wonderland at times. Yet this game has great writing and overall is better than Zork I because Zork II actually has a story present.

If you enjoyed Zork II...

People who like Zork II also gave high ratings to these games:

Unraveling God, by Todd Watson

The Axolotl Project, by Samantha Vick
As a lowly intern on Sadler Pharmaceutical’s high-security lunar research base, you set out to find an escaped test subject before your boss does. Along the way, you’ll unravel the mystery of your coworker’s mysterious resignation – and...

Fragile Shells, by Stephen Granade
You don't know how long you've been hammering against the station's wall, but you stop as soon as you realize what you've been doing.

Zork II appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best Infocom Games by Xervosh
The ones I personally enjoyed, and on that admittedly flawed basis, extrapolate you might enjoy the most as well. Presented in chronological order of release.

My favourite old IF games by zhaofeng
Old IF games.

The Canonical Infocom Games by wfaulk
This is a list of the canonical Infocom games in order of release, as according to the Infocom Fact Sheet.

The following polls include votes for Zork II:

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Bugs that you can take advantage of by Fredrik
Bugs are an annoyance, usually, but in some rare cases, bugs can actually make the life of an adventurer easier. Some bugs can help you in certain situations, perhaps even to bypass puzzles, and they can sometimes provide positively...

Best classic zork adventure by Aintelligence
What is the best classic zork adventure which includes all zork including classics and subdivisions.

This is version 20 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 2 April 2017 at 2:17pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item