Game File
For all systems. To play, you'll need a glulx interpreter - visit Brass Lantern for download links. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Castle Map
Mild spoilers.
Walkthrough
Complete spoilers.

Eat Me

by Chandler Groover profile

In this castle, you'll eat or be eaten.

May contain dairy, carnage, puzzles, nuts.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2017
TUID: yutkd9u0oeog4br1

2nd Place - 23rd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2017)

The Breakfast Review
Opulent and sinister, rich and heady as arsenic-laced Bordeaux.

A Colossal Adventure
It’s something special to be presented with a world, and a single verb, and be told: eat your fill. Enjoy it all. Everything you want to eat, you can.

Dhakajack
This game satisfies the StarKist Tuna Criterion — it is both a tuna that tastes good and has good taste.

Kirjallinen suunnistaja
Kerronta sinänsä oli nautittavaa ylitsepursuavuudessaan ja kieroutuneessa huvittavuudessaan. Grooverin tyyli on tunnistettava, samoin teoksen asetelma. Hänen tarinansa sijoittuvat renessanssi- tai barokkimaiseen fantasiamaailmaan, joka on kauhistuttava mutta harmiton samaan aikaan. Eat Messä lukijaa puhutellaan lapsena ja tarina on kuin interaktiivinen iltasatu.

Narrativium
Eat Me overflows with scrumptious, scrumptious text. It is beautifully written, maximalist, and absolutely, 100% manages to put the player in the mind of the gluttonous protagonist. The descriptions of the things the protagonist eats were almost physically tangible in my stomach. The game made me hungry.

Old Games Italia
Le vicende di Eat Me sono un climax costante, che ci getta in una spirale gastronomica senza precedenti.

Waypoint
The dirty little thrill of adventure games is to act as a spoiler, to walk into an environment and tear it apart as you pick up everything not nailed down and break everything standing in your way. Eat Me gives that pattern a perfect thematic resonance with its surreal plot and setting; you're here to devour this world, and the solution to every puzzle is a matter of what (or who) to swallow when.

Cool in a grotesque way, October 3, 2017
by Sobol (Russia)
A fruitful idea: taking one common action verb and building a whole game around it. We already had SMELL: The Game by the same author, KILL: The Game, GO NORTH: The Game together with GO WEST: The Game, last year's TAKE: The Game, and even USE - I mean, UNDERTAKE TO INTERACT WITH: The Game. Now it's EAT: The Game.

I often have hard time relating to the games by Chandler Groover with their aesthetics of abhorrent, but this one turned to be not as revolting as I initially expected. The puzzles were satisfying, the images vivid; the game is cruel (I think it should be the first one to boast both "child protagonist" and "evil protagonist" tags at IFDB at once), but not particularly repulsive to my taste - mainly because of two reasons:

1. A strong fairy-tale atmosphere that smoothes everything, gives an unreal, dream-like feeling (and excellently fits in with the game mechanics, as many classic children's tales are obsessed with food - Hansel and Gretel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, etc.).

2. Many food descriptions were pleasant and genuinely appetizing (e.g. cheeses in the armory).

All in all, not a "don't play it while eating" kind of game.

A grotesque limited parser game about consumption, November 16, 2017
I beta tested this game, and it was my personal choice for winner of IFComp 2017.

It is a grotesque game; you are a child granted a bottomless pit by a magical character in a fairy tale. You are imprisoned in a dungeon where countless other children have met gruesome deaths.

The game revolves completely around eating, with eating the only real action. Like DiBianca's Grandma Bethlinda's Variety Box, where USE was the only verb, the puzzles in this game revolves around timing and sequence.

I found this game satisfying, and have played it 6 or 7 times.

Gloriously Grotesque Parable on Gluttony, October 3, 2017
by Angharade
Related reviews: IF COMP 2017
This was so much fun.

I was utterly invested in the story. It was laugh out loud, over the top, and sometimes horrifying. I saw it all happen. I tasted it. I got hungry and had to take breaks to eat pasta, but then I was eating things in the game--that--I never--thought----

This was a visual masterpiece, a chef's horror and wet dream at the same time.

All results thought out, hints were helpful. I will say that I think the ending had a higher potential for depth than was carried out--but overall I felt almost fully satiated. My brain still craves eating a castle door made of devil's food cake, but alas, we can't always get what we want.

Brilliant piece, brilliant writing.

If you enjoyed Eat Me...