tide.zip
Contains tide.gam
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 2 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads. (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

The Ebb and Flow of the Tide

by Peter Nepstad profile

Part of Tales of Wonder
Literary/Fantasy
2006

You have done a horrible thing, so horrible that burial will be denied you, either in soil or sea, neither can there be any hell for you. You wait for some hours, knowing this. Then your friends come for you, and slay you secretly and with ancient rite, and light great tapers, and carry you away.

First Publication Date: December 16, 2006
IFID: TADS2-7968CB10E664DC07FD49ED54B80039BF
TUID: yqyg7ktxrt53wrfa

The Ebb and Flow of the Tide is a memorable game, not least due to the efforts
of the game author. The Dunsany tale is a somewhat chilling dream sequence but
ultimately of little import; Mr. Nepstad's interpretation gave it life and
immediacy.

W. Doug Bolden

A strange, evocative short quasi-horror IF very much in tune with the mix of horror and myth and dream-fantasy that Lord Dunsany is known for. Very closely follows the original story and works out as a massively different type of game.

A unique game based on a Lord Dunsany story, August 15, 2017
This game is perhaps best left undescribed, as its core mechanic is so unusual. It helps to type ABOUT or (I think) COMMANDS.

The story is based off an old Dunsany Story, just like Nepstad's The Journey of the King. But this game is much more constrained than that one.

I would have rated the game higher if I hadn't been stuck so many times, trying to search for the correct commands to advance the game.

If you enjoyed The Ebb and Flow of the Tide...

People who like The Ebb and Flow of the Tide also gave high ratings to these games:

The Periwink, by Jedediah Berry
It's your last day as her ladyship's groundskeeper—but you still have a little work left to do. A Petite Mort entry for ECTOCOMP 2016.

1958: Dancing With Fear, by Victor Ojuel
"Dancing with Fear" (1958, directed by Víctor Ojuel). In this forgotten classic of Golden Age Hollywood, a vedette fallen on hard times (Salomé Vélez) finds herself enmeshed in a tangle of political intrigue, romance and betrayal in a...

Mastaba Snoopy, by gods17
An Unknown Alien Being acquires a child's forgotten book and mistakenly believes that it depicts proper protocol for interaction with the human world. The book is a collection of Peanuts comics.

The following polls include votes for The Ebb and Flow of the Tide:

No Mazes, please! by AndyC
I am a returning player to IF (which I loved 30 years ago) having recently discovered the fantastic Frotz for the iPad. Looking at some of the old games again has really blown me away. I don't enjoy drawing maps but I love reading good...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Peter Nepstad on 2 February 2009 at 11:34pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item