Play Online (Quest Version)
The Bony King of Nowhere online at textadventures.​co.​uk
Story File (Quest Version)
The Bony King of Nowhere.​quest
Story File (Glulx Port)
The Bony King of Nowhere.​gblorb
Play the Glulx Port Online
The Bony King of Nowhere (Glulx Port) online at textadventures.​co.​uk
Story File (Abridged Z-code Port)
The Bony King of Nowhere.​zblorb (Abridged Z-code Port) [Unnecessary objects were removed to reduce file size.]

The Bony King of Nowhere

by Luke A. Jones profile

This is a relaxed small(ish) text adventure in the classic parser style (but with a much wider vocabulary), and also with a modest attempt at humour!

Author's Comment: "After growing up with text adventures in the 80's, I wanted to make the kind of game that I would have enjoyed playing."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
Development System: Quest
IFIDs:  D065F3C6-597C-42FE-B2CF-D8F46B803F5E
3920D3D6-41B4-48DF-9BF2-1145A76243A8
8E56CF3D-A420-4196-8178-C7BFB227BF0A
TUID: ymezzicbqtryc34j

Entrant, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

Reminiscent of classic Infocom games, April 28, 2017
I very much enjoyed this game.

[I'll give BRIEF descriptions, to keep this as spoiler free as possible.]

The story is very well-crafted, and it's extremely funny. I laughed aloud at least every four to five turns.

The puzzles and riddles were spot-on as well. (Not too difficult, but not too easy.)

The NPCs (that means 'non-playable characters, for those of you who are new to the IF scene) are extremely enjoyable. (HINT: (Spoiler - click to show)Sometimes you need to 'ASK so-and-so ABOUT such-and-such', and sometimes you need to 'TALK TO so-and-so' -- depending on the situation and the NPC.)

Here's a question: do you enjoy a good pun? This game's packed full of them!

It has a satisfying ending as well.

Overall, I found it very enjoyable. (Did I say that already?)

If you miss the old-school parser adventures, then give this one a shot! I bet you'll be glad you did!

-----------
One note regarding the version of the game available from textadventures.co.uk as of 4/28/17 5:30 pm, CST (which I believe to be the most recent version):

Do not read this until you've officially declared that you are stuck.
(Spoiler - click to show)

If you are stuck at any point, try examining things. Sometimes you need to examine one thing to discover another.

If you enjoyed The Bony King of Nowhere...

People who like The Bony King of Nowhere also gave high ratings to these games:

Pogoman GO!, by Jack Welch and Ben Collins-Sussman
The world is full of Pogomen, and now that you donít have a job or family to worry about, you might as well get back to it!

Drumsticks, by Luke A. Jones
You are the manager of a rock band down on their luck, when you are suddenly offered the gig of a lifetime. Can you get the band organised in time? (contains profanity from one NPC: a foul-mouthed roadie)

The Hobbit: The True Story, by Fredrik Ramsberg and Johan Berntsson
A short parody of Melbourne House's game "The Hobbit". Can be played from the DOS prompt. Can also be played online at http://www.solvalou.com/misc_hobbit.php

This is version 7 of this page, edited by R Headkid on 13 April 2018 at 5:42pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item