App Store
Google Play Store
for Android

Choice of the Dragon

by Dan Fabulich and Adam Strong-Morse

Play as a fire-breathing dragon who sleeps on gold and kidnaps princesses for fun!

Choice of the Dragon is a free text-based game of multiple choice. Dominate the local kingdom, loot and pillage, and inspire terror in the hearts of your enemies!

First Publication Date: January 2, 2010
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: y6act0sdadab6l1n

Excellent longish fantasy choicescript game about being a ferocious dragon, December 14, 2015
This choicescript game was recommended to me, and I really enjoyed it. It is free, unlike many "Choice of" games, and well-developed. You are a dragon, and like other Choice of games, you have a variety of stats (honor/cunning, finesse/brutality, etc.)

The story was written well, with a good swords and sorcery vibe that I've really missed among IF games. Dragons, wizards, paladins, demons, goblins, all behaving like a D&D game instead of the usual introspective deconstructions popular in IF.

I really enjoyed crafting a cunning finesse dragon, although I died once and got my butt kicked another time. The delayed effect of the choices makes the puzzles significant. I had heard it was hard to get a mate, and indeed I was not able to.

I enjoyed the goblin NPC. If Choice of Games had been more well-known in the IF community in 2010, I feel this would have been nominated for some awards.

If you enjoyed Choice of the Dragon...

People who like Choice of the Dragon also gave high ratings to these games:

The Moonlit Tower, by Yoon Ha Lee

The Profile, by Mike Snyder
Rain pours, and with it, distant thunder. You approach the house, perhaps quickly. Your boots leave muddy footprints on the steps. It's cold. It's dark. The time is between 2:30 and 4:00 AM; you're not entirely sure. The Profile is a...

Open Up!, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Trin Park's only job while her parents are out of town is to make sure her little sister stays out of trouble. Should be easy enough. The kid usually keeps to herself anyway... (A post-Birdland microgame)

Choice of the Dragon appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Best fantasy games by MathBrush
These are my favorite games that include some sort of magical or fantastical element. Games with mostly horror or sci-fi elements are on other lists, as are surreal games, fairy tale/nursery games, and religious/mythological games. I've...

Simulation games by SpesKnight
Games that simulate something, not just IF stories but kind of management games made with IF engines

The following polls include votes for Choice of the Dragon:

Best Choicescript games by MathBrush
I've only played a few choicescript games, but I loved Creatures Such as We, The Race, and Scarlet Sails. What can you recommend?

Comfort Food IF by Molly
Lately I've been chasing away the blues by playing through my IF backlog. This made me wonder, what IF do you play as a pick-me-up? Maybe it's something that calms and soothes you, maybe it's really funny, or maybe it just distracts you...

Canonicity and IF by juliaofbath
I'm interested in determining whether or not a clear canon has emerged within the world of IF/hypertext. Of course, there is a clear critical opinion regarding which works belong to this tentative canon, but I'm interested in what...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Dan Fabulich on 2 October 2015 at 5:05pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item