Don't Read the Comments

by Ashton Raze

Humor

Short, amusing riff on the niche-audience building capabilities of the internet and the problems with comments.

License: Free
TUID: xtdwdx30zkteavf

Worth a 10 minute play, December 19, 2013
by Anya Johanna DeNiro (Minnesota)
Well, if you're a Twin Peaks fan you will get a kick out of this. (Spoiler - click to show)I seem to be the only reviewer who got the reference to Nadine; it was a nice payoff. It's extremely linear but has some humor in deflating the expectations of the protagonist and the overall pacing of the piece.

Yes it's one joke but it's a pretty funny joke.

Short, Simple & Sweet, December 21, 2013
by Alexander (Scotland)
I can empathise with the Reading Comments Conundrum so much, and it feels oddly validating to see a game about it!

DRtC is fairly short and fairly simple - the only change from the default Twine interface is really the background and font - but this game neither warrants nor requires sophisticated formatting, and the simplicity of the game's setup doesn't detract from the experience.

It's hard not to smile and smirk away while playing thanks to the great writing and comical setup, especially given the way the game presents the choices in the latter half of the game, when you begin to think, "surely I can risk having a quick look at the comments?". There's even nods to both Pokémon and Twin Peaks, which felt like a nice wee touch.

(Spoiler - click to show)In all honesty, I tried reading the comments from the very first time it was presented as an option, and the semi-frustration at not being able to read them actually made the end of the game feel strangely gratifying, in spite of the copious spam).

All-in-all, the game is short, simple and sweet - it's not pushing the boundaries of the medium, and it's not delivering an intense experience, but it's accessible, funny, and succeeds at its modest mission; well worth taking some time out to play.

Blogging is hard, December 13, 2015
This game is about a philistine's struggling with internet. The scene is grotesque - he begins to blogging about curtain rails. Who writes a blog, maybe pay more attention to this, and yes the internet tropes with the absurd middle-class figure - get the reader's attention. It has two endings, so some level of interactivity can be observed yet in the game. I found the game in a collection and take it to my place, so it's playable again. I played it formerly, but now I come across it again.

If you enjoyed Don't Read the Comments...