The Weight of a Soul

by Chin Kee Yong

In a world of arcane mysteries, a young doctor's apprentice unravels a conspiracy most grim.

Author's Comment: "This is a mystery/suspense parser game inspired by the likes of Anchorhead and Fallen London. It isn't currently finished, but there's a solid vertical slice of finished content that takes close to 2 hours to complete. Please enjoy.

Content warning: This story features graphic imagery and morbid themes."

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
TUID: xsc77fvvd4oz76oz

Entrant, Back Garden - Spring Thing 2017

A fantasy/medical mystery, June 14, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This game is advertised as being incomplete, but a very large chunk of it is done. Playing it is like playing 'episode 1' of a large series.

The setting is unusual: you are in a large and decaying city where magic and science are blended together. Scalpels and anesthesia blend with goblins and soul magic.

I found the opening to be a bit constraining (which is something I do in my own games, too), but that after that the game was rich and rewarding. Locations have several interactible details, conversations feel natural, and I felt like a real detective.

I enjoyed the large feeling of the city, something difficult to do right in an interactive fiction game. I did get a bit lost from time to time. Locations were unique and vividly described.

I would love to see this finished.

If you enjoyed The Weight of a Soul...

People who like The Weight of a Soul also gave high ratings to these games:

Wrenlaw, by Ryan Veeder
It would be nice to know what you're looking for.

Speculative Fiction, by Diane Christoforo and Thomas Mack
A puzzle game about committing acts of financial skulduggery and exploiting ridiculous magical items. This game is the complete version of the one that appeared in IntroComp 2011, where it won second place.

Losing Your Grip, by Stephen Granade

The following polls include votes for The Weight of a Soul:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Settings of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 1 of this page, edited by CMG on 8 April 2017 at 11:21am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item