trip.gam

The Trip

by Cameron Wilkin

Surreal
2000

"Life sucks, but there's always a way to get away from reality." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1.31
IFID: TADS2-0A7DBFE43757F4EF2D13A127BF073560
TUID: x0r9tee2jci0xast

33rd Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

You come to a small backwater town to meet your friends from high school who are as much losers as yourself. However, consciousness-expanding experiments (with drugs and hallucinogenic plants) trigger off a chain of events that finally make you change your whole life. I found some puzzles somewhat obscure, though the bulk of them can be bypassed - due to a bug. Since we're talking about puzzles and bugs - the game has several optional puzzles that are even more obscure, and is rather bug-ridden. The proper rating for this work probably would be ***, but I'm adding an extra star for the game's unique atmosphere reminiscent of works by Carlos Castaneda, which I'm very fond of.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

In the end, this game feels a lot like some trips can be: long stretches of mild enjoyment, boredom, or even disappointment and annoyance, punctuated by flashes of beauty and brilliance. Or at least, that's what it felt like at the time.

I didn't like the way this game was written. It is hard to put into words, perhaps it's the subject matter, using words like dude, trippy, alright man, yeah etc.

-- Dorothy Millard

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 27 March 2013 at 4:17am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item