upon the author's website.

An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House

by Ryan Veeder profile

Karen Chambers gives tours in a restored Victorian home.

First Publication Date: May 9, 2016
License: Free
IFID: 70C75C81-1AE5-4D64-815C-FB5886468C2E
TUID: x0f1xzv8vq5tkbq0

Delightful little story, October 24, 2016
This piece begins with a sense of leisure and time: the day is ending for you, a docent who provides tours of a historical home for the rare visitor. The sense of place and setting are excellent--this could easily be modeled after any of a dozen small historical museums from New England.

Tension builds quickly (especially with the recommended background audio), and continues to a satisfyingly creepy and unsettling finish. The pacing and plotting are both well done.

The one area I wish Veeder had spent more time on was in fleshing out the protagonist and giving us a greater sense of who we are, and what the stakes mean to us, although I suppose some of this is done in the implications. I do wish there was a little more characterization, typically a stronger point in his work.

A tightly-paced and well-written ghost story, June 9, 2016
Ryan Veeder is known for tongue-in-cheek, polished games. This game is well polished and paced, but this time it's a creepy ghost story. Like a campfire tile, it is spooky, and dark, but has a vague hint of a smile at times (which may just be my interpretation).

I found the game to be effectively creepy, banking on anticipation, slow changes in writing, and gradual, creepy, realizations.

I strongly recommend this game, especially for fans of campfire tales.

If you enjoyed An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House...

People who like An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House also gave high ratings to these games:

Once and Future, by G. Kevin Wilson

Roofed, by Jim Munroe
You and your brother’s job — scouring the city’s highest spots for a rare building material in the year 2040 — is already hard enough. Now Anton’s gone and gotten you trapped on a rooftop. Your acrobat bloodline will help you with the...

Mere Anarchy, by Bruno Dias
“The box is cardboard, a file box; it looks like it should contain years of tax returns. Except the holes on the sides have been shut with black masking tape. Except the lid is held in place with the same tape. Except it feels warmer and...

An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Great "white hat" horror games by genre by MathBrush
This list does not include games intended to disgust or to make you personally feel evil. The focus is on games where good overcomes evil, or that just make you think. That is what I mean by "white hat" games. Games like Vespers or...

The following polls include votes for An Evening at the Ransom Woodingdean Museum House:

The Best Games of 1st Half of 2016 by A. Johanna DeNiro
Sometimes by the end of the year and after the Comp it's hard to keep front-and-center the games that appeared earlier in the year! Here is a place to list what has tickled your fancy so far. One vote per game only please.

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Settings of 2016 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2016 which you think might be worth considering for Best setting in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

Games with accurate (present or historical) settings by Emily Short
I'm looking for works in the general spirit of The Fire Tower or 1893: they can be puzzly or not, have a story or not, but they should attempt to represent a real-world setting as accurately as possible, and in some detail.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Ryan Veeder on 9 May 2016 at 10:26pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item