Rape, Pillage, Makane!

by Chandler Groover profile

Galorelike

No knight was ever more noble than Sir Makane, whose chivalrous code held two tenets above all: SLAY/LAY.

Written for Ludum Dare 34.

First Publication Date: December 13, 2015
TUID: wy0nsr4khifcdm27

Makes reference to Rape, Pillage, Galore!, by Kristian Kirsfeldt

IF - The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
Author's Commentary on Rape, Pillage, Makane!
I wrote a game for Ludum Dare 34 called Rape, Pillage, Makane! It's a very short game, but more thought went into it than players might realize, which is why I'm providing this commentary. Light spoilers will follow.

Normally I'm happy to discuss the mechanical elements behind my games (what few mechanical elements there are) or my overall conceptual intentions, but I hesitate to mention what I intend for any game to "be about." I want to leave that up to the player.

This game is different. It occupies a more dangerous territory than others I've written. So I think it will benefit from an author's note, similar to something like a card that would be stuck next to a painting at an exhibit. What I'm going to talk about isn't hidden information, and my hope when I wrote the game was that my stance about its content, as its author, would be obvious.

Challenging, potentially hard to experience work, May 19, 2016
This is a complicated piece; I'm not sure how I feel about it, and I'm not sure that I can give it a star rating. It's a challenging piece on a number of levels, and I think it really should be played by someone aware of the challenges, and with the author's notes, which I found moving.

In a sense, it's a parody, but in a more important sense, it's a social commentary on games and power fantasies that go unchallenged & are too easily fulfilled.

Groover strips away chance here, and much of the narrative abstraction that lets a player feel comfortable with their choices in most games, in a way that hopefully makes a statement about the deeper issues that are implicitly raised in this work.

If you enjoyed Rape, Pillage, Makane!...

People who like Rape, Pillage, Makane! also gave high ratings to these games:

Birdland, by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
Fourteen-year-old Bridget's summer camp experience takes a turn for the bizarre when her otherworldly bird dreams start bleeding into reality.

Another Cliched Adventure Game, by David Whyld
Entry in Ectocomp 2014.

Ghost Highland Way, by Harry Giles
A spooky sad scots randomised gamepoem, about being outside and looking and remembering.

Rape, Pillage, Makane! appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Stiffy Through The Ages by Ivanr
One of the most enduring characters in interactive fiction is a guy named Stiffy. Stiffy Makane. A misogynistic, notoriously ill-coded three-room game from 1997 launched an enduring inside joke, and over the past 20 years the ribald id...

The following polls include votes for Rape, Pillage, Makane!:

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible games of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 February 2017 at 12:08pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item