Enemies.zip
MS-DOS Application (Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)
Enemies.z8
Enemies.sol
solution

Enemies

by Andy Phillips

Mystery/Horror
1998

"It will forever remain one of life's mysteries: why should a simple man like yourself get on the wrong side of anybody? You are, after all, just a typical accountant. A little sideline romance with the secretary (what's she called -- Joanna) is a pleasant diversion from the tedium of your nine hour working day. Even your name, Charles Johnson, is unremarkable. Unfortunately, in today's world, security is nothing more than an illusion. Predators, sometimes even our most trusted friends, make plans for our downfall. Unseen snipers close in, ready to pull the trigger when we least expect it. Perhaps it's just human nature -- everybody has.... ENEMIES"
[--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

IFID: ZCODE-4-990115-C11A
TUID: wazvwtxlf7us44qr

The best thing about Enemies is (surprisingly) the atmosphere. I mention the surprise because what had always impressed me about Phillips' work in the past were his puzzles. His storytelling conversely had been a little weak. In Enemies, however, it's his prose that takes the foreground. The writing is generally very creepy and Phillips does a great job of making the player feel that the threat is real and around every corner. [...]

The truth is that there were at least two or three puzzles in this game that could easily be nominated for XYZZY awards, and the sense of satisfaction I got from completing most of them was very high. A recommendation might be to play this game with a walkthrough close by, and when you hit one of the killer puzzles (believe me you'll know when it happens), you can save both your gaming experience and yourself the grief of trying to plow through them.

-- Francesco Bova

A massive spy thriller-type game with intricate, unfair puzzles, June 11, 2017
Related reviews: 10+ hours
Most of Andy Phillips games have the same bones with different overlays. In all of the games, you play a protagonist with some sort of special features (in this one, you're an intelligent accountant), a femme fatale, and cinematic scenes with really hard combinatorial puzzles.

The special features of this one are the setting (most of it in an abandoned boarding school), and the gruesomeness of it. It was a bit over the top, even compared to his other games.

If you haven't tried any of the other games, I really liked Heist and Time.

If you enjoyed Enemies...