mdthief1.zip *
Contains THIEF.D$$
Requires an AGT interpreter - see Brass Lantern for download links.
mdthief2.zip *

Development System: AGT
IFID: AGT-05050-0000BFDF
TUID: waov63ym41b481n9

1st Prize - Softworks AGT Competition 1991

To gain admission to the Guild of Multi-Dimensional Thieves, you must escape from a specially-prepared complex of rooms pasted together from various times and places. Visit Heaven, Hell, and Oz armed with a portable hole and a lightsabre. A nice puzzle-oriented game with a good sense of large-scale cohesiveness. Easy to get into unwinnable states; save often. Available in two forms: the original AGT version and an expanded version with a graphical interface reminiscent of Legend's early games.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

The storyline and some of the puzzles are good, but I always have misgivings about games which assume a degree of pre-knowledge. In this case I think you would have problems in the Oz section if you had not seen the film or read the book. Unfortunately there are a few bugs in the game which rather spoiled my enjoyment. (Alex McEwan)

All in all Multi-Dimensional Thief is a bizarre, fun-packed adventure, told with a great sense of humour and style. I think I've only managed to scratch the surface so far, but there looks like a lot more fun to be had in Joel Finch's world. [...] I cannot admit to being a great fan of the AGT adventure system but this is certainly one of the more impressive additions to the range. (Graham Cluley)

Joel has an open, easy-going style of writing which is very nice to read. His humour is first class, giving a witty response to almost anything you type in (try swearing repeatedly!). The puzzles are well-thought out and some 'standard messages' are random, so you have a different response to the same thing. (Grimwold)

In the first five minutes Joel had me smiling and laughing at the responses he had programmed in, something which is pretty hard to do. Joel takes the ridiculous and makes it even more strange without losing sight of the game. (James Judge)

On my very last attempt I was so completely frustrated that I told the program to go and procreate with itself and it insisted that I had to promise not to swear again before it would let me continue playing. Needless to say, I shut the machine down and there ended all my future attempts with MDThief. (Graham Raven)

[Reviews by Toni Cortes, Adam Justin Thornton and Christopher E. Forman]

If you enjoyed The Multi-Dimensional Thief...