Hard Puzzle 2

Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals

by Ade McT profile

Episode 2 of Hard Puzzle Trilogy

On the farm, after The Event, things have gotten more complicated than they ought to be. A silly little Speed-IF. But can you solve it?

Hall of Fame:
CMG
Deboriole

First Publication Date: December 8, 2015
Forgiveness Rating: Tough
TUID: w4bgofezs6ux9oah

Another hard puzzle, January 9, 2016
by CMG (NYC)
When the first game in the Hard Puzzle trilogy was released, there wasn't a trilogy. That game was a standalone game and it consumed me unlike any puzzle game I'd played before. I thought, once I had solved it, that I was finished for good, that I had broken free, and it was a highly satisfying moment.

Then Hard Puzzle 2 came out. Only then did I realize how deeply the first game had actually sunken its claws. I wasn't finished. I wasn't free. I had to solve the second game. My experience with the first practically dictated my continued devotion to the series.

In the first game you're tasked with assembling a milking stool. This process is complicated by (among other things) how many items the game provides for you to manage. In the second game you're tasked with using that stool to finally milk an animal. This process is complicated by how many animals there are to milk, and how they react to each other. Rather than swamping the player with objects as the first game had, the second game swamps the player with temperamental NPCs to herd around. And to further compound the chaos, there's a countdown timer.

But it's not as simple as herding the animals and getting the milk before the timer runs out. Or maybe it is that simple. That's the trick with these Hard Puzzle games. You never know exactly where you stand.

Coming into the second Hard Puzzle after solving the first made me approach it differently. I knew what had been required to solve the first, but did the game know I knew that? Was its solution going to follow similar logic, or was its solution going to strike into new territory? I'd rather not say. My own uncertainty enhanced the game. And indeed, if you dislike uncertainty, then you're probably best staying as far away from these Hard Puzzles as you can get.

In some respects, I think that the first Hard Puzzle was a better game because it was less noisy, so to speak. But in other respects, I think Hard Puzzle 2 surpasses its predecessor for the same reason. This sequel has more atmosphere, more character, more movement from the animal NPCs bustling around. Seeds planted in the first game about the post-apocalyptic setting begin to bloom here. A mythology begins to develop.

Once again, I hope no solution is ever published. These Hard Puzzles exist in a strange limbo where not knowing their true proportions is what makes them as engaging as they are.

Yay, I beat it!, January 12, 2016
by Deboriole (San Diego, CA)
I beat the second game! I am giving it five stars because I really liked it. I did not get frustrated like in the original Hard Puzzle, and I felt this one was very cleverly done. Patience is a virtue; I spent a ton of time playing this game before I was able to figure it out. It was very satisfying when I did! Now onto the third installment. :)

An entertaining but frustrating animal shuttling game, June 11, 2017
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This game is the sequel to Hard Puzzle, and like the first, it has some purposely underimplemented parts, and lies about its difficulty and even about your goals (or does it?)

I haven't finished it yet, but I've read all the text from decompiling, and I know the last command(s), just not the middle.

In any case, the game has a large number of critters with independent AI and some emergent behavior. It's fun to play around with.

If you enjoyed Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals...

People who like Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals also gave high ratings to these games:

The Northnorth Passage, by Caleb Wilson (as Snowball Ice)
Oh no, the old family curse has flared up! This is a short story about limits to action.

Deadline, by Marc Blank
Twelve hours to solve the mystery. One false move, and the killer strikes again. It's been called "part of the latest craze in home computing (TIME magazine), an "amazing feat of programming" (THE NEW YORK TIMES) and the "Best Adventure...

Star Court, by Anna Anthropy
The laser gavel pounds. The Robailiff boots up. Somewhere, a gong sounds. STAR COURT is now in session. (Inspired by the Mac game Kangaroo Court.)

The following polls include votes for Hard Puzzle 2 : The Cow, The Stool and Other Animals:

Outstanding individual puzzles by Jeremy Freese
I'm interested in examples of excellent individual puzzles in IF. In other words: not 'Spider and Web' so much as 'getting out of the chair' in 'Spider and Web'

Milking by CMG
After playing Hard Puzzle by Ade McT, which centers around assembling a "milking stool" under rather sinister circumstances, it struck me how odd it can be to feature milking in a game. This poll is for any games that include or...

Great game sequels by Teaspoon
Whilst writing a review of "All Alone", Joey Jones's sequel to his game "If I Wasn't Shy", I became curious - how many examples of sequels are there in IF? Preferably good ones.

This is version 18 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 8 February 2017 at 12:09am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item