The Urge

by PaperBlurt profile

Surreal

Torture, torture little star
You must wonder where you are
Hoping that you'll soon will die
As I melt your face with lye

When your pee mix with your sweat
And the floor with blood is wet
Then you'll feel a real true fright
Torture, torture all long night

When the silver blade once rise
You will live without your eyes
Then you fade away from sight
I'm now your God and I will smite

First Publication Date: October 1, 2014
TUID: vw887qr4sspwyutf

29th Place - 20th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2014)

Looks great, but... , August 25, 2015
by verityvirtue (London)
You are a serial killer, with his (his? Itís not entirely clear) next Ďguestí.

The Urge is by turns gory and mundane, but largely linear. It is more a character study than an interactive story. It takes us through what the author imagines to be the everyday life of a serial killer, (Spoiler - click to show)juxtaposing the PCís uncontrollable bloodlust with mundane activities like cleaning up and going grocery shopping.

What graphics included in the game are well-rendered and attractive, but the formatting of the text had several slips, including missing punctuation marks and inconsistent line breaks.

The story could also have taken some interesting turns - letting the reader decide the PCís motivation, for example, or the extent to which the PC will go. Instead, the linear storyline reads like lots of other serial-killer TV serials, with little nuance or, indeed, anything to invest the reader in the PC. Maybe this was a reflection of the unstoppable nature of the titular urge to kill. Maybe it was unintentional. But it felt like clicking through a story, and not a very engaging one, at that.

Overall, I felt the graphics looked good and were used thoughtfully, but the story was rather lacking, which is a pity!

Urge to kill ... rising, October 14, 2017
by NoiselessPenguin (London, UK)
Welp, I'm a serial killer with my latest victim.

I have an interest in serial killers, but Iím not a big fan of graphic gore.So this game hits a good spot for me.

The first scene is of the protagonist torturing their victim. There are Ďfunnyí tortures you can use as an alternative to gory ones. These strike a weird note thatís not quite funny enough. Thereís none of this sort of humour in the rest of the game so I can only imagine itís here for the squeamish players.

There is a point where if you run a red light you end up in prison. I played the other branch where you wait for the light, and enter a romantic storyline. I didn't replay to explore the prison story line.

The rest of the game is a sort of slice of life as the killer falls in love, dates a person they donít want to murder, and they move in together. Itís kind of ordinary. The observation about putting aside your own interests and hobbies a bit when youíre part of a relationship is well-trodden ground already. Contrasting the killerís wildly unorthodox murders with the commonplace activities of work, cooking and coupledom is slightly interesting but isnít developed.

Unfortunately thereís no strong punchy point the game wants to make. It gets full playthrough from me because I like serial killer stories. Thereís only two points where you can make a meaningful choices, which is disappointing. The author is telling me a story, but sadly not a story that engages me.

The text effects are decent and spooked me out once Ė where a description of a potential victim is suddenly interspersed with KILL CHOP MURDER in red letters.

I like that the characters are all non-gender-specific.

A gory, long tale about the urge to torture and kill, August 13, 2016
This is perhaps paperblurts most compelling story for me, but also the most troublesome content. You play a serial killer who just can't get enough of killing.

The pacing, the graphics and animations, are all excellent, although it drags on to six acts.

It goes into detail about the gore, but it's over the top, silly gore.

The story gets interesting with the addition of a couple of major npc's. Both of them get wrapped up in a somewhat rushed way. Also there is no save feature for this long game with many slow pauses.

If you enjoyed The Urge...