amnos01.z5

by John Evans

2000

""crux ('kr&ks, 'kruks)
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin cruc-, crux cross, torture
1 : a puzzling or difficult problem : an unsolved question
2 : an essential point requiring resolution or resolving an outcome <the crux of the problem>
3 : a main or central feature (as of an argument)"

--From the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, Merriam-Webster 2000" [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-000930-B40D
TUID: vpr35s61mn0ds00z

30th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

Fantasy quest inside a castle. The contents of the castle are wildly diverse in the manner of very early fantasy quests, so the atmosphere suffers a bit. Reasonably solid, technically, but suffers from some poor game design choices, including a large and frustrating maze and a randomized elevator. There are some good large-scale puzzles, and the writing and overall plot are quite strong, but the game design makes things more difficult than they should be.

-- Duncan Stevens

All this is not to say that it's a bad game. It is implemented minimally, but competently. I don't think I found any major bugs, though the game's fascination with non-standard geography and randomness sometimes made it difficult to tell what was a bug and what wasn't. The prose, like the code, is sparse but error-free. Perhaps, if I was able to play it all the way through, I'd even think that Amnos is a really good game, or at least a draft of something on the way to becoming a really good game. With what I was able to see, though, all I was able to tell was that its entry as a competition game impaired my ability to enjoy it.

It is an open-ended fantasy game which gives you the opportunity to take multiple paths to find multiple endings.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 23 March 2013 at 9:21am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item