Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.

My Mind's Mishmash

by Robert Street

2007

First Publication Date: September 30, 2007
Development System: ADRIFT
IFID: ADRIFT-400-F14DE49A7E1C697FCEB65DEFE8851D31
TUID: v43afr872izjmif0

13th Place - 13th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2007)

An interesting premise, but let down by technical problems, November 26, 2007
by Kake (London, England)
Related reviews: **, Robert Street, IF Competition 2007, didn't finish
Although there are some very good ideas behind this game, it had far too many technical issues for me to continue playing it.

First of all, I was put off by the quality of the writing. I haven't seen any other reviewers bringing this up and one or two have actually said they thought the prose was good! So maybe my standards are too high, but I felt the writing was stilted, unpolished, and entirely lacking in any kind of style. (I did actually wonder whether it had been written by a precocious child or a very young teenager, but apparently the author is in his mid-twenties.)

Mainly, though, I didn't get very far through because I gave up in disgust when I discovered (from the walkthrough) that something the parser had been refusing to let me interact with or even look at was in fact vital to further progress. This wasn't an isolated problem, just the most egregious example. I'm not going to spend time playing a game that I can't trust to be fair with me.

My Mind's Mishmash on IFDB

The following polls include votes for My Mind's Mishmash:

Worst IF Titles by diddlescatter
(Sorry, Fredrik, but your poll was such a great idea that I couldn't resist!) So here's the question: Which titles out there do you absolutely hate? Remember, it doesn't have to be a game you've actually played. In fact, maybe it's a...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by onyx on 5 February 2008 at 10:45am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item