dastardly.z5

Historical
2004

IFID: ZCODE-2-060122-17A8
TUID: v0zwe4xy6thtqz0s

In the "about" menus for this game, Andy Chase says that Dastardly probably contains a lot of historical inaccuracies. Maybe, but I didn't notice any. In fact, I really liked the game's setting and atmosphere. Another thing I liked was the extent to which its characters were developed, far more than I would have expected in a speed-written game. You may not be able to talk to James much during the opening segment, but you can read your journal to gain insight into him, yourself, and others. Before you are done exploring the theatre, you have a fairly good idea of what you must do, and why.
-- Greg Boettcher

A respectable effort in a crumbling theatre, January 17, 2016
by verityvirtue (London)
When you and James first set up the Orpheum, oh, what dreams you had! But now, burlesque is the only thing which brings people to the crumbling theatre.

The Ďaboutí section promises just one puzzle, but without a clearly indicated goal for the PC, I found it hard to figure out what to do. (Maybe itís just me.) (Okay, figured it out.) It took a little leap of logic for me, but once a certain step is done, things moved quickly.

This game was written for 24 Hours of Inform 2004, in which participants had to write an Inform game with 24 hours (no surprise there), and the game had to be set in a theatre, include a petticoat, an advertisement, something repainted and a trapdoor. The time limit probably explains why the environment was not as exhaustively implemented as it could have been, but at least the location descriptions are sufficiently interesting, and successfully convey the sense of dereliction and despair that now plagues the Orpheum.

The game is still buggy in places and the puzzle didnít fully make sense, but it was still a respectable effort.

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 17 April 2013 at 6:08am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item