Competition version

Yes, my mother is...

by Skarn

Counseling is no easy job.

When someone requests your help, within the space of a few questions, you must have learned enough about them, about their strengths and weaknesses, about what they want and what they need, to give them some appropriate advice, guidance which will do more good than bad.

And, in your specific case, you also need to answer many, many questions about your mother.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
IFID: 6116CB78-70BF-4E28-9E76-1B11323602F0
TUID: u59motjd3cy084yj

35th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
As a game, it's interesting to explore the different options in an effort to discover everything we can about the situation, and it's short enough that we can do so without too much tedium. As a story, it's a fable worth considering when looking out into the real world.

Intriguing World Building, May 21, 2017
by Joey Jones (UK)
The game is near-future, social sci-fi, focusing on a therapist and their relationship with their own mother. It's an unusual topic explored through a visual-novel structure. In game documents can be unlocked but need not be reread each time, which is a nice touch for replayability (and the small mysteries and alternative endings encourage replaying).

A shortish twine game about an alternate future , May 9, 2017
In this game, you are the daughter of the famous founder of the n/a movement, which somehow focuses on those with subtle powers, whether supernatural or based on refined psychology, I couldn't tell.

This game has many endings, based on how you react to 1-4 visitors that come to your office. The game has large blocks of text either a few, but varied options at the end.

I found the game not very exciting, but I liked how differently you could actually on different playthroughs.

If you enjoyed Yes, my mother is......

People who like Yes, my mother is... also gave high ratings to these games:

Four Sittings in a Sinking House, by Bruno Dias
The thing about sinking is: the sea is not a void. If you're sinking, you're displacing something. A Grand Guignol entry for ECTOCOMP 2016

Horse Master, by Tom McHenry
The Game of Horse Mastery

Toby's Nose, by Chandler Groover
A murder most foul has been committed and Sherlock Holmes is on the case. You are his dog.

The following polls include votes for Yes, my mother is...:

Games about mother-child relationships by verityvirtue
Games which deal with mother-child relationships, no matter the nature of either party.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 1:40pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item