identity.z5
identity.z5
competition entry
identity.zip
(Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

Identity

by Dave Bernazzani profile

Space Exploration
2004

IFIDs:  ZCODE-7-041121-636C
ZCODE-6-040928-DBAA
TUID: ty2z1c41ec7i6mf6

15th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

A decently-crafted short game in the crashed-spaceship genre. The planet you're stranded on isn't all that alien, though: it's got primitive humans and at least one yak. (Perhaps the "Stellar Patrol" is the same one as in Planetfall, with its mission of regaining contact with lost human colonies.) The title is misleading: although you start the game with concussion-induced amnesia, your loss of identity is not central to the plot, which has more to do with finding out why the ship crashed and then arranging for a rescue.

-- Carl Muckenhoupt

It bills itself as an Interactive Short Story, but I found the story element to be rather slight. Though the game told me that my memory was 100% complete at the end I was still none too sure of my character's name and had seen nothing to flesh out the backstory hinted at in the opening scene. Instead, pride of place is given to the puzzles which are generally well thought out and intuitive.
-- Cirk Bejnar

Identity isn't an unpleasant way to spend an hour or so, but for me it felt mostly like a missed opportunity.

Not bad, October 31, 2007
by Nusco (Bologna, Italy)
Related reviews: IF Competition 2004
Hopelessly cliched "astronaut with amnesia" stuff. Interesting enough at first, but it dries up after the first half. The lost identity theme adds nothing to anything, and that last puzzle could have used some trimming.

If you enjoyed Identity...

People who like Identity also gave high ratings to these games:

Lists and Lists, by Andrew Plotkin
A tutorial in which a genie teaches you the basics of a simplified version of LISP. [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

Fingertips: I Found a New Friend, by Adri
You've had a long day. All you want to do is climb into bed. But why is your pillow quivering like that? Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project, and loosely inspired by the They Might Be Giants track of the same name.

Ex Nihilo, by Juhana Leinonen
In the beginning there was nothing. From nothing light and darkness were born.

The following polls include votes for Identity:

A Poll About ... A Poll About ... Hm. That's Funny. I Can't Recall. by Ghalev
As of the founding of this poll, the IFDB has only seven games with the "amnesia" tag. I don't buy that for an instant. Please vote for games where the player-protagonist-person is dealing with a bout of forgetfulness (usually about who...

This is version 6 of this page, edited by Dave Bernazzani on 22 January 2014 at 11:49am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item