Play online at sub-Q

Heretic Dreams

by Hannah Powell-Smith profile

They would call what you did heresy.

No one knows you swallowed the power of a god, but it will break you apart.

First Publication Date: March 29, 2016
TUID: trtcqmihmvqpgsoj

., September 30, 2016
A darkly atmospheric twine game about a cult. It's a short survival story about a person who tries to escape from the horrific disasters created by a vengeful god. I also think the character might have powers or had powers due to some sort of betrayal against god. I got something like an X-Men vibe, the cult thing in 1Q84, and something like The Giver? (What really bad comparisons.) But the prose of this game is quite lovely and the game is intimate despite its doomed ending. It holds onto you until the flames eat you.

Pros: original and dark game about a cult.
Cons: Mmm. None I can think of.

Stolen power, December 15, 2016
A short game where you're forced to make tough decisions, though you may not understand the implications of some of them at the time. Though short, the writing means it's impossible not to get emotionally invested in the outcome for the characters involved- and there are multiple endings.

A fantasy narrative about a vengeful God, March 30, 2016
This Sub-Q game is by a great author, Hannah Powell-Smith. In this Twine game, you play a character (which I interpreted as a woman) fleeing from the influence of a vengeful God. You have to deal with a variety of disasters and help those you love.

I only played once, so I don't know how much your choices affect the outcome, but I had the impression of making big choices, and I liked that.

The link presentation was slightly unusual, with some in-line links and some links presented as a menu at important choice points, but I felt that this was effective in promoting the feeling that my choices mattered.

Overall, well written and designed. I recommend it.

If you enjoyed Heretic Dreams...

People who like Heretic Dreams also gave high ratings to these games:

The Griffin and the Minor Canon, by Frank Stockton and Chandler Groover
A griffin pays an unwanted visit to a town. Adapted from Frank Stockton's classic short story.

In the End, by Joe Mason
Your best friend has just died, and life drags on miserably. Would death be better than this? [--blurb from The Z-Files Catalogue]

The Unholy Grail, by Stuart Allen
Strange, unexplained deaths have been occuring in the marine life surrounding a remote island military base and you have been sent to investigate. Your investigation will ultimately lead you to the other side of the world where you will...

The following polls include votes for Heretic Dreams:

IF of yours you'd most recommend by blue/green
If someone were going to play one IF you've written, which one would you recommend? This can be based on any criteria you choose: personal favorite, highest rated, most representative, most accessible, whatever. (You can always change...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by Hannah Powell-Smith on 18 April 2016 at 11:33am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item