Steam
for Windows, Mac, and Linux
App Store
for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
Google Play Store
for Android

Hollywood Visionary

by Aaron A. Reed profile

Make the movie of your dreams amid the glamor and romance of 1950s Hollywood!

"Hollywood Visionary" is a 150,000-word interactive novel by Aaron A. Reed, where your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

As head of your own movie studio, you call the shots: hire Hitchcock, seduce Garbo, build your studio into an Oscar-winning powerhouse or star in a B-movie train wreck. Control everything about your production, from genre to casting to building up buzz.

Do you have what it takes to become a Hollywood visionary?

• Conquer the movie biz as a writer, director, producer, actor, or editor
• Banter with Hollywood royalty like Orson Welles and Greta Garbo
• Choose from dozens of genres and modifiers to make your film unique
• Five possible endings to discover
• Find love or throw yourself into your art: extensive but optional romance plots
• Win an Oscar, create a cult classic, or languish in film obscurity
• Will you name names for the blacklist, or risk everything to uphold your artistic ideals?
• 150,000 words of content
• Flexible gender presentation: independently control your pronouns, appearance, titles, and romance options

First Publication Date: May 1, 2015
License: Commercial
Development System: ChoiceScript
TUID: tpyd3aa3isbzx9gu

Nominee, Best Game; Nominee, Best NPCs - 2015 XYZZY Awards

Great story, perfectly capturing 50s Hollywood, September 2, 2016
"Hollywood Visionary" casts you as a studio head in the 50s, trying to make your first movie to get your studio off the ground. The atmosphere is that of 1950s Hollywood, and is lovingly rendered: everything is period-perfect, and you're surrounded by big names, which really adds to the atmosphere. The NPCs that you encounter are indeed very well written; I have a soft spot for Fish Grundy, but other ones are quite memorable too. (Orson Welles, in particular, is hilarious and a great character.)

Most importantly, the account of the Red Scare and trying to be a studio head in the McCarthy era is just amazing. The character of Creed is great for that purpose : it is well-written enough that you could totally see someone like that existing back in that day, but still manages to say things that from our modern perspective sounds absolutely ridiculous. It's very impressive to manage to portray this aspect that well, while still making it transparent that the whole thing was a travesty of justice and completely, irrationally stupid. I came out of the game reflecting heavily on what is justice, and how politicians sometimes get away with blatant scapegoating that is profoundly unfair; it really resonated with 2016, although I see now in reviews that it also resonates with other events from a few years ago. For that matter, the tense scene near the end is just amazing, as (Spoiler - click to show)the stakes are high (even if you know how ridiculous it is, they could still end you!), and the atmosphere is oppressive; one of the best written scenes I have ever seen and felt in IF.

The meat of the game is trying to get your movie done while managing all sorts of aspects, like money, stress, actors, etc. This was well-done enough, and there are lots of possible choices; it is however mostly linear, and I came out with the impression that some choices always lead to similar conclusions, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I achieved enough variety to get achievements that I wanted to get, but I felt little interest in keeping going; to be honest, the huge number of choices do not actually feel like they're all supported, and sometimes it kind of felt like it was just string substitution. (as in "<your director> loves <your genre>"). Granted, I didn't really explore everything; but I feel like the game wasn't that great at giving me feedback or letting me know that this particular choice was a really good one. Instead, you are given 15 different knobs that you have to monitor, without really knowing how important they are, and it kind of felt (at least for the choices I made, which were mostly careful and not really going to extremes) like it was a zero-sum game, that if I spent more time on something, something else would lose as many points. This may not be true, and maybe you can manage to make a dismal movie or an absolutely great one, but I don't really know how, and I don't even have a good rule of thumb, which doesn't really make me want to try to achieve it. So, it's nice to personalize your movie, basically, but you don't really feel like it has that much weight or importance overall.

In any case, I had a very good time with this game, and the superb writing makes it a 5-star game in my opinion.

IF Visionary, January 21, 2016
by namekuseijin (anywhere but home)
Aaron A. Reed is one of a very select few individuals who know and fully embrace the narrative oportunities afforded by interactive fiction. He's one of the few to have seen in the media an oportunity for more than puerile treasure hunting romps or plain boring fantasy escapism. Here's an IF that poses as mild entertainment but features some beefy political statements behind curtains. But let's take a moment at that as the IF begins reeling.

You're given the opportunity to play as a disillusioned big hollywood studio staffer willing to hit the spotlights big time. Your very first task is to pitch your next project to your current employer, Lloyd Crohan, an irascible businessman not easily impressed. It seems no ammount of passion, choices or replays you put into the pitch gets his attention at all. Which is good, because this episode is what finally gets you to quit and to roll out a new hollywood studio of your own.

This is the fifties, an era where the golden age of Hollywood from the forties was beginning to wane, old stars to sink in drugs, TV was starting to eat away audiences and commie paranoia was widespread. A tough time to be a hollywood visionary and yet a time that started seeing the blossoming of the whole indie movie scene.

In this IF you'll go through the whole process of going from a sketch of a movie, to scripting, shooting, post-production and finally releasing it. You'll hire directors, actors, scriptwriters or whatever you need to get it to the screens. Sounds kinda crappy? You know, like one of those myriads of generic resource management games that pop up everywhere from phones to PCs? Far from it. True, at it's core, that's what your fully realized protagonist is trying to accomplish. Except you go through it not by pushing buttons or by boring inventory management but by essentially reading a novel - a finely crafted and thoughroughly engaging one at that - and making your way through the tough decisions and challenges presented to you in the usual Choice of Games bottom links interface.

Aside from choices, there's also much of that character customizing we've grow used to from CoG, including all those gender choices. I've said it before: I prefer fully fleshed out characters with their own traits, but it's a minor gripe. Most characters are not customizable, only those the protagonist may or may not develop a crush onto. Given the setting, Hollywood in the 50's, having occasional gay characters struggling to have a private life away from public scrutinization is to be expected.

Other choices of customization develop a more fully fledged character towards the way how you deal with people, by being harsher or softer, more bossy or more gentlemany and so on. They shape how stats develop and may lead to unexpected plot twists. All of these choices are never presented in an out-of-world fashion that seems to interrupt the flow of the narrative, on the contrary, they simply follow from the current plot point, nicely integrated in a brief scene where the protagonist mulls over how to deal with a request from others.

Writing is top-notch, quality prose well employed in delineating character traits and courses of action when presented with tough decisions. The plot is gripping, with quite a few twists and plenty of drama, commedy, horror and romance involving quite a charming cast of characters. In fact, this is a game about movies written most likely by a huge movie fan, well researched, fully to grips with the language of cinema and with classic movie tropes. Some scenes in the narrative look straight out of some of those movies, yet are never lacking in originality. In fact, Aaron seemed to hint not only at them, but at classic IF too: a whole scene plays like an old treasure hunting text-adventure (minus the parser) and the magazine that influenced Adam Cadre's Photopia is here too.

Now, let's get to the real meet of the game, a political statement of sorts. Somewhere along all your decisions, you'll meet quite a few communists and will learn about how they're being prosecuted at the time by congressmen for anti-american behaviour. This is part of USA's history of course and very factual. Then, (Spoiler - click to show)you'll eventually be summoned to Court and there congressman Creed will lambast you and those of your brethren - all the small indie companies that took from large the studios the right to be screened in large movie exhibition chains - as losers, anti-americans who couldn't get along with the real deal of large corporates, and commies. Rings a bell? Yep, thought so: this is gamergate all over again and Aaron indeed makes a very good job of drawing parallels between the paranoia then and now, between indie B-movie makers and indie game developers subject to derision for their beliefs. So, the whole game comes to this crucial moment and it is a marvel to behold by itself. How it concludes is up to your morals.

Once this is over with, you get your movie released. Will it be a success, a failure or something in between? That's where all your efforts as a game player rest.

I'll conclude by saying I've never been a huge fan of CYOA and CoG's brethren. As a fan of parser IF the lack of immediate agency, of being there in the fictional world and messing with it at my own pace, is not quite my cup of tea. This one was remarkably engaging, though. The storytelling, prose and characters - specially Fish, so alive - got me hooked, the decisions were engaging and puzzling enough to me to keep me from merely tapping away any of of those choices and just read next - which is how I inadvertedly come to play most lesser CoG and twine games. I guess the fact that this is a story about humans - so full of sweat and joy and tears, rather than the usual vampires, skeletons in suits, ninjas and aliens that are the bread and butter of the genre - made the trick to me. The curtains are drawn, the lights are lit and I clap my hands vigorously. well done. I'm willing to replay it at least once, there are quite a few secrets and paths to uncover.

A movie-making simulation set during the McCarthy era, June 24, 2016
This game was nominated for an XYZZY for best game, and for best NPCs.

This is one of the larger Choice of Games, with quite an epic storyline. You conceive of a movie using a large amount of customization (how many leads? what genre? what subgenre? What other subgenera? Highbrow or lowbrow? Who directs? Who writes? Who stars?). The number of possibilities here really unlocks the game's potential as a wish-fulfillment device.

But making your movie comes with its own challenges. Getting a studio running, winning financial support, dealing with deadlines and spotty talent. I spent a large amount of money to get Frank Capra to direct my ensemble western.

Overarching everything is the shadow of repressive anti-communism hunters. You have to choose how you interact with Hollywood black listers, and what to say in communism hearings.

All of this makes the games general goal (making a great movie) very difficult; I found it more rewarding to focus on personal goals.

Finally, this game includes some parts quite unlike the standard choice of games format; for instance, there is a large puzzly section that has a well-developed location and object model as you search for a dog. This part feels a lot more like a parser game or like a twine game with strong world model (like Hallowmoor).

Overall, I believe this game deserves the XYZZY nomination, and stands among the best games of 2015.

If you enjoyed Hollywood Visionary...