enlisted.z5

Enlisted

by G.F. Berry

Space Exploration
2000

""Fleeing a broken marriage and a failed business you decide to join the space faring version of the French Foreign Legion." This is a more traditional Infocom style work (emphasis on puzzles, and subtle(?) humor), with plenty of story animations, chances for the player to define his/her lead character, and a few alternate endings." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 1
IFID: ZCODE-1-000504-B489
TUID: ssln6619quwzrq2f

23rd Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

A Sci-Fi puzzlefest, covering your joining the Space Troopers, your training course, as well as your first mission. Includes a maze with a twist (however, this twist doesn't make it easier to solve). You can choose your gender at the beginning, though your choice barely affects the story or the gameplay. Finally, there are two alternate winning endings, but reaching one of them depends on a somewhat obscure move. The game suffers a bit from insufficient beta-testing; I've rated it **** nevertheless, for a number of its puzzles really are creative.

-- Valentine Kopteltsev

There is a lot of text to read, but it is well written and interesting. There are no objects to manipulate and for the most part you are "led" through the first part of the game.
-- Dorothy Millard

The more games I review, the more importance I place on one particular rule from Graham Nelson's legendary "Players' Bill Of Rights": "Not to have to do boring things for the sake of it." The EVA suit stuff from Enlisted felt quite realistic -- probably, traveling in a space suit via a backpack thruster and positioning system would be just as fiddly and drudging as the game makes it seem. However, reproducing this process does not make for enjoyable interactive fiction... Instead, we have a few minutes of excitement and then long stretches of painful and tricky mucking about. If I wanted that, I'd have joined the real Army.

A big empty spaceship game where you have to repair broken things, July 16, 2017
Related reviews: about 2 hours
This is a Star Trek-esque game. After a brief opening sequence with some guess-the-verb stuff, you are woken from cryosleep and have to repair a station.

The station has hallways A through J that are all identical, and minimally described, as well as a variety of other rooms. There are some fun things here, but I found a lot of it frustrating. The centerpiece of the game is a series of several EVA expeditions that realistically model 3d movement without friction. I found this to be tedious.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 24 March 2013 at 1:54pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item