Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets

by Bitter Karella

Episode 1 of Guttersnipe
Humor

Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets is a humorously grotesque (or grotesquely humorous) game about a circa 1929 street urchin and her pet sewer rat trying to survive a trip through a dark carnival full of sin, secrets, and murderous clowns.

Author's Comment: "I'm obsessed with 1920s street urchins, awful monsters, and low brow grand guignol comedy. This game unites all three of my passions, so I hope you enjoy it too!"

First Publication Date: April 7, 2017
Development System: Quest
TUID: sh4u6tis7lugg0vg

Alumni's Choice Ribbon, Main Festival - Spring Thing 2017

A difficult and sprawling dark fantasy/comedy circus game, March 28, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
I played this Guttersnipe game after I played the IFComp 2017 one.

This is a big Quest game. You play as a ragamuffin urchin who is trying to be the number one urchin of all time. The game uses a variety of humorous dialects to show character, including yours.

You enter a dark circus, and have to discover its secrets. This is a big game with a big map, with 1-2 puzzles per room. Generally, an item found in one room will solve one puzzle somewhere else.

I liked this game, and would have given it 4 stars, but I found it a bit difficult to complete, and I abandoned it partway through. If it had a complete walkthrough, I would probably give it 4 stars.

This author has a number of other games that are big and well-received, including Night House and the other Guttersnipe game.

Edit: I finished playing, and the parts I hadn't been able to reach were actually great! I wish this were ported to Inform or TADS.

If you enjoyed Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets...

People who like Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets also gave high ratings to these games:

Sardoria, by Anssi Räisänen
You play as a young villager who is attempting warn the king about an imminent attack at nightfall. The castle guards, not believing your tale, have imprisoned you in the castle's wine cellar. You must escape and get to the king!

Finding Martin, by G.K. Wennstrom
Venture past the limits of ordinary reality as you investigate the mysterious disappearance of an old friend. In order to solve the most challenging of these puzzles, you will need to cooperate with yourself by making several time travel...

Make It Good, by Jon Ingold
The call comes through. Of all the dicks; you get the call, sitting in the front seat of your car, hands shaking on the steering wheel. An urgent call; but all you were thinking of was the bottle in the liquor store and so that's where...

The following polls include votes for Guttersnipe: Carnival of Regrets:

For your consideration: XYZZY-eligible Writing of 2017 by MathBrush
This is for suggesting games released in 2017 which you think might be worth considering for Best Writing in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here...

This is version 2 of this page, edited by bitterkarella on 14 April 2018 at 7:29pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item