IMustPlay.t3
competition entry
For all systems. To play, you'll need a TADS 3 Interpreter - visit tads.org for interpreter downloads.
IMustPlay.source.zip
(Compressed with ZIP. Free Unzip tools are available for most systems at www.info-zip.org.)

I Must Play

by Geoff Fortytwo

Adaptation/Game
2004

Why are the older boys so mean? You stood around the arcade all day and weren't able to play even one game on any of the machines! You thought you had your chance when nearly everyone else went home earlier in the evening in order to beat the storm that was gathering outside. Unfortunately, the arcade owner decided to call it quits early as well. Luckily, when the call went out that he was closing up, you were able to sneak into the ball room and hide under the balls. The owner finally left and now it's time to play some games!

Language: English (en-US)
Current Version: 42.00.009
IFID: TADS3-980A1988CEAA95C9D139F8433221F248
TUID: rw8ipy7o8hgpq82o

14th Place - 10th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2004)

A story of a little kid who sneaks into the video arcade after hours to play some games while the mean big boys are away. Cute but a bit pointless, if you ask me. Or not! The very first video machine I try. I find myself _inside_ a huge game of Tetris! This was a moment of realization for me, which is always nice.
-- Joao Mendes

In short, the game had me, and then -- via a short series of aggravating scenes and statements -- it lost me. I'm sure that won't be true for everybody. People who share the beliefs portrayed in [the problematic] scene will have a much easier time navigating it (though I imagine that even some of them will still be less than pleased with its primitive formulations), and some people who share my beliefs will be dispassionate enough about them that the scene won't bother them. It's not that the game is super-fantastic aside from that, but until it rubbed me the wrong way, it was a pleasant enough diversion. For me, though, even though I finished IMP, I didn't end up getting a lot of pleasure out of it.

Nice, October 31, 2007
by Nusco (Bologna, Italy)
Related reviews: IF Competition 2004
A number of funny and pretty smooth mini-games tied by a loose narrative about a young arcade gamer. Geeky humor transpires throughout.

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 12 May 2013 at 11:02am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item