rking-graphics.taf
competition entry with graphics
Requires an ADRIFT version 4 interpreter. Visit the ADRIFT site for download links.
rking.taf

Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2007 XYZZY Awards

2nd Place - Spring Thing 2007

I want to make a terrible pun here but it would be a spoiler, August 22, 2011
by Lumin (Texas)
David Whyld's 'The Reluctant Resurrectee' took second place in the 2007 Spring Thing, and is the sequel to an earlier, smaller work, 'Back to Life...Unfortunately'. While you don't have to play that to enjoy this one, it was plenty of fun in its own right and so I recommend it as well.

When I played the first game I remember thinking how original the puzzles were (as a king who keeps getting resurrected against your will so that you can continue ruling, the goal was to kill yourself in various amusingly inventive ways until you could no longer be brought back), but
even that pales in comparison to the premise behind TRR, which takes 'non-human protagonist' to a whole nother level.

You're...um, unique form makes the traditional means of exploring a bit difficult, so the first order of business is learning some other ways to get around, preferably without dying. Unlike the first game, death is something you want to try and avoid here, though it doesn't end the game or
anything; the ever helpful Chancellor Verenor is still faithfully by your (figurative) side whether you want him there or not.

This time instead of trying to escape your problems by (re)dying, you have no choice but to man up and resolve a host of serious threats facing your kingdom, the reason you were brought back in the first place.

While there are a couple of other areas you can access, the majority of the game takes place at...er, on your desk, and there are a variety of clever puzzles that involve you trying to manipulate everyday objects, collect information and just generally get around. Eventually there's also a way to summon and communicate with a few of your subjects, though this was part of a set of puzzles that I personally found a little difficult. (Then again sometimes my brain just doesn't get puzzles in general.)

However, once I got past that little snag, the ending was plenty satisfying, and nicely paved the way for the sequel.

If you enjoyed The Reluctant Resurrectee...