Age of Fable is played in a browser.

Age of Fable

by James Hutchings

2006

Age of Fable is a free role-playing game which you play through your web browser. Its style is deliberately 'retro', based on the gamebooks whose popularity peaked in the 80s such as Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf, Tunnels and Trolls, and Fabled Lands.

License: Creative Commons
Development System: Custom
TUID: rnkyg9mamrpzt8xd

Impressive, May 10, 2016
I am not that impressed with the RPG style text-based games that I've played in the past, but Age of Fable offers something that I feel like sharing with others. It is a CYOA with a seemingly complicated dice-roll based system responsible for determining the success or failure of most of your decisions. My first play through left me unsatisfied, though. It seemed that there was no way to create a character with high enough skills to make any decision favorable. That was my first play-through and I was naive. It was only after playing it again and again and again that I realized how beautiful and wonderful this game is. There appear to be nine or maybe twelve characters (based on the beginning attribute values) that you can be, either by creating a character, choosing one, or randomly generating one. The story unfolds quite differently for each type of character that you choose, and there is a a lot of story here. In my six attempts at the game (all of them leading to death) I only saw the same descriptions or events a handful of times. I don't know if there is some ultimate goal that bathes you in glory and ends the adventure, but the playing is worth it. There's no need to describe the verbose adventure itself, as you will soon be playing it. The game is well written, very fun., with great illustrations. Highly recommended.

If you enjoyed Age of Fable...