constraints.z5

Baf's Guide ID: 1916
IFID: ZCODE-1-020927-6D05
TUID: rl2xdcgxy0t66x9j

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2002 XYZZY Awards

19th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

If I had to describe this game in one word, I would pick "crazy." This game, or series of mini-games, is wacky. Yes, it makes some sort of weird sense, but you will probably only get a headache trying to figure it all out. No, it is not confusing. The stories or sections in themselves are easily understood. Trying to put all of them together and figure out what the author's point is will drive you crazy, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.
-- Tony Baechler

[T]his is an excellent work of IF, and a fascinating metatreatise on "puzzleless" IF in general.

A bizarre anthology of three point-making philosophical games, May 5, 2015
This is a game of mini-games. As the author says, each of the three short games are unrelated except by concept. Each game strives to make a philosophical point by putting constraints on the user.

The games vary in enjoy ability. One of the games was actually quite enjoyable, with dynamic constraints. The other two were not very exciting.

The writing is melodramatic; it really reminded me of what you might expect if you told a university English class to "write something deep". It's hard to tell, though, if the author is doing this purposely or not, which is a point in the game's favor.

There is unnecessary profanity in the first game, a strange departure from the tone of the rest of the game.

For those who have played through all three games and read all of the author's additional notes and material:

(Spoiler - click to show)There is a fourth "endgame" which, I believe, is what the author refers to when he says part of the game is inspired by House of Leaves. At first, I really enjoyed this game, but then I began to realize that the game seems to place the new staircase only when a large percentage of the map has been explored, and then places it in the unexplored spot closest to the entryway. Because of the House of Leaves reference, I do not believe this puzzle is intended to be solved.

If you enjoyed Constraints...

People who like Constraints also gave high ratings to these games:

Lord Bellwater's Secret, by Sam Gordon

The Chinese Room, by Harry Giles and Joey Jones
The Chinese Room is a hilarious romp through the world of philosophical thought experiments. Have you ever wanted to win Zeno's race? Free the denizens of Plato's Cave? Or find out what it's really like to be a bat? Now is your chance!

Kaged, by Ian Finley
""But my madness speaks: It will but skin and film the ulcerous place, Whilst rank corruption, mining all within, Infects unseen." Welcome to the Citadel of Justice. The Inquisitor is waiting." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

The following polls include votes for Constraints:

Artistic Games by WriterBob
I'm interested in games that take the fiction of IF to new levels. These are not straightforward, plot driven games. Think instead of games that play like poetry, or games that focus on a character's revelation.

Non-human Perspectives by Tigrita
I'm looking for IF narrated by aliens, animals, anything.

Autonomic narration by Artran
I'd like to discover more games like Photopia, Rameses or Glass, in which the narration is rather independent on a player, and in which the interaction is somewhat limited because of strong characterisation and lack of real puzzles. In...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 17 April 2013 at 4:59am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item