constraints.z5

Baf's Guide ID: 1916
IFID: ZCODE-1-020927-6D05
TUID: rl2xdcgxy0t66x9j

Nominee, Best Individual Puzzle - 2002 XYZZY Awards

19th Place - 8th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2002)

If I had to describe this game in one word, I would pick "crazy." This game, or series of mini-games, is wacky. Yes, it makes some sort of weird sense, but you will probably only get a headache trying to figure it all out. No, it is not confusing. The stories or sections in themselves are easily understood. Trying to put all of them together and figure out what the author's point is will drive you crazy, so just sit back and enjoy the ride.
-- Tony Baechler

[T]his is an excellent work of IF, and a fascinating metatreatise on "puzzleless" IF in general.

If you enjoyed Constraints...

People who like Constraints also gave high ratings to these games:

Bedtime story, by Taleslinger
"Daddy, will you tell me a story?" asks your son, Danny. Your wife, Randa, started the story of Prince George and his quest to rescue a princess while you were away for six months. Now it's your turn to continue the tale.

Episode in the Life of an Artist, by Peter Eastman

All Things Devours, by half sick of shadows
From the game's about command: "All Things Devours is a short piece of interactive fiction, leaning strongly towards the text-adventure end of the spectrum. It explores an all-too-familiar science fiction paradigm in what I hope is a...

The following polls include votes for Constraints:

Artistic Games by WriterBob
I'm interested in games that take the fiction of IF to new levels. These are not straightforward, plot driven games. Think instead of games that play like poetry, or games that focus on a character's revelation.

Non-human Perspectives by Tigrita
I'm looking for IF narrated by aliens, animals, anything.

Autonomic narration by Artran
I'd like to discover more games like Photopia, Rameses or Glass, in which the narration is rather independent on a player, and in which the interaction is somewhat limited because of strong characterisation and lack of real puzzles. In...

This is version 3 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 17 April 2013 at 4:59am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item