My Angel

by Jon Ingold profile

Fantasy/Romance
2000

Go to the game's main page

An innovative fantasy parser game which reads like a novel, February 3, 2016
Like the more recent experimental work Laid Off from the Synesthesia Factory, My Angel strives to make a transcript of the game read like a book. Error messages are turned off, diddling around too long makes the story progress by itself, room descriptions are varied so they don't repeat enough, and it is written in first person present tense.

When I first played this game a year or more ago, I lost interest and stopped because I couldn't tell how well I was doing or know what to do next. This time, I just went with instinct and tried obvious commands and I beat the game without hints. The author's notes are very interesting, as much or more than the game itself.

The story is about a couple with unusual abilities running away from a group, and then later exploring ruins.

Jon Ingold is really a master of innovation. Looking over his career, it seems he was really trying over and over to find something that could draw in people outside of traditional IF, and he finally succeeded with the wildly popular 80 Days. This game is interesting in light of that history as well.

Comments on this review

Previous | << 1 >> | Next

namekuseijin, January 5, 2016 - Reply
you really love Ingold, don't you, "matt"?
MathBrush, January 5, 2016 - Reply
I really do. I'm surprised you're not a fan of Mulldoon Legacy! or Break-in.
namekuseijin, January 5, 2016 - Reply
oh, you know I love to hate Muldoon. still to get to 50 points I think.

I do love Dead Cities and Fail-Safe