Play online
Background Info
including pictures of feelies

Crocodracula: What Happened to Calvin

by Ryan Veeder profile

Based on the 90s children's horror soap opera.

First Publication Date: October 30, 2017
IFID: D0C885ED-2362-42E5-AE1C-6653A18B1744
TUID: r1wgq6n56sh6bxzs

The most Ryan Veeder game yet. A short mystery., November 7, 2017
It's hard to conceive of a game that is more Ryan Veeder-y than this one. This is most likely due to the support from his Patreon, which was started (according to its home page) because he wanted more reasons to include complex irrelevant subsystems in this game.

And this game has them. There's not that much you have to do in this game, but a lot you can do. Random mini quests and red herrings abound. I spent around 2 hours on this game, but the main pathway can be finished in 20 minutes or less.

There are two characters to pick from, but the choice is inconsequential...sort of. And sort of not. I felt rewarded for playing through with both.

I read a paper on humor theory once that talked about the 'incongruity-resolution' theory, which is that we laugh when we experience something out of the ordinary, that doesn't make sense, and then have it resolved suddenly. This game is built on nothing but incongruity-resolution. Everything in the game is a mix of useless and semi-useful.

I liked this a lot more than the Roscovian Palladium, or any other of the short random games that he makes every few months. A nice game to play if you just want to burn time and fiddle around with stuff.

Mysterious, November 4, 2017
by Sobol (Russia)
Crocodracula supposedly recreates the feel of American TV shows for kids from the '90s; having little familiarity with those, I was instead reminded of the recent hit series, Gravity Falls. There are similarities: two young protagonists in a small town full of various supernatural stuff, a creepy swamp, a climbable water tower, a helpful book about magic and dark secrets, a cryptogram... There was a cute plot and some good kid-friendly spooky moments.

Games by Ryan Veeder generally feature lots of optional details, glimpses of a backstory, digressions (like, for example, the tale of Homeschooled Gwen in Robin & Orchid) which add to the atmosphere and give you the feeling of inhabiting a rich world. In a game like this, which encourages you to look everywhere, search for hidden content and don't do what the NPCs tell you to do, these many optional details turn into red herrings. After helping the sheriff and playing through three different endings I'm still not sure I've seen it all. Is there a way to open that door with a Latin inscription? What is the significance of the Old Tree? Or the verb "ululate"?.. Perhaps some mysteries of Opasassa are never to be unveiled.

If you enjoyed Crocodracula: What Happened to Calvin...

People who like Crocodracula: What Happened to Calvin also gave high ratings to these games:

Antropology, by Oreolek
** On benefits of speech. ** A micro abstract interactive text piece, about one minute long.

Dig My Grave, by Ryan Veeder
For reasons which remain obscure, it is your job to dig a grave. Written for the Apollo 18+20 tribute album project.

Alien Abduction?, by Charles Gerlach

This is version 4 of this page, edited by Sobol on 4 November 2017 at 12:28pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item