WiR2.zblorb

Manhattan, 1954.

IFID: 39B69468-79E1-4DF7-B342-F846EF7315B0
TUID: qx277z01nf6adwan

A logic puzzle with an active, procedurally generated NPC, June 5, 2017
This game was designed, I believe, to introduce a new audience to IF. It has an intriguing logic puzzle where you research a procedurally generated alien to see what properties it has, look up its homeworld, and send it home.

However, the game is strangely aggravating for an 'outreach' game. Even with all the hints, I had few ideas on what I could do to coerce the alien into the pod except in the easiest of cases.

The biggest problem here is that the game doesn't suggest many courses of action with the alien, but implements many courses of action. This means that I floundered around, exploring the edges of a possibly great game, without ever seeing its core.

If you enjoyed When in Rome 2: Far from Home...

Other members recommend these games for people who like When in Rome 2: Far from Home, or gave both high ratings:

When in Rome 1: Accounting for Taste, by Emily Short
Manhattan, May, 1954.

Firebird, by Bonnie Montgomery
"Firebird is based on the Old Russian folk tales that inspired the Stravinsky piece of the same name. You are Prince Ivan, and have been charged by your father, the tsar, to find the Firebird that has been stealing your father's golden...

Through the Dimensional Rift, by One Eyed Jack
Searching for his missing sister Laurie, Sam Shooter winds up in a sword-and-sorcery world. Sam Shooter must save the world from evil forces, have huge amounts of sex, and treat the player to One Eyed Jack's unique brand of absurd humor.

When in Rome 2: Far from Home appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Active Non-player Characters by Emily Short
Games which make use of non-player characters that have a great deal of independence, often moving around and acting on their own, or taking the lead in conversation. Some of these are more successful than others, but all are likely to...

The following polls include votes for When in Rome 2: Far from Home:

Multi-Part Games by Bloodsong
I was wondering just how many games out there, either completely text based, or text-adventure hybrids, are out there that involve a story line over the course of several games. I know for sure of the Sorcerer trilogy from Infocom...any...

Solved without Hints by joncgoodwin
I'm very interested in hearing truthful accounts of at least somewhat difficult games (or games that don't solve themselves at least) solved completely without recourse to hints, walkthroughs, etc.

Best Short Games (5-60 minutes) by Sasha Davidovna
I'm pretty new to IF and am having a lot of fun, but in between a toddler and a job and other real life stuff, I'm having trouble finding time to finish many of the longer games I want to play. Can you please recommend me some fun and/or...

This is version 8 of this page, edited by Shin on 23 October 2016 at 1:49pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item