Availabe to download and play on Quest engine, or play in browser.

A Christmas Game

by Luke A. Jones profile

Seasonal

It's Christmas Eve and you've still an awful lot to do. You better head into town and do some shopping.

This is a relaxed small(ish) text adventure in the classic parser style (but with a much wider vocabulary), and also with a modest attempt at humour! So pour yourself a glass of port, and get your thinking cap on.

First Publication Date: December 5, 2016
Development System: Quest
TUID: qwjqeiz2858egggi

Of mediocre quality, January 1, 2018
by Chase Entwistle (Blue Valley Southwest High School)
Overall, this text adventure is bad. It was written without regard to the choices of the player, committed some large sins in the world of Text adventure/IF writing, and was also inconsistent conventionally. While I did not finish the text adventure itself, I did sort of see where it was going (and the way it was written, it dragged out the whole thing longer than it needed to be) so I don't feel TOO bad about that.

Here are some things I noticed:

"box" vs "toolbox"
You are not allowed to parse suitable replacements for words

"enter shed" without suitable response
The shed ended up being treated as a container that you could not enter. While this is perfectly fine, one must provide a suitable reply when writing (Instead of simply "That's not something you can enter").

Inconsistent with periods after sentences, and
generic responses, even when extra information needed.

The whole thing was stretched out, and involved much more walking than puzzle solving or otherwise advancing the story.

I also noticed a sequel to this game, but I am very much inclined not to waste my time.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Luke A. Jones on 1 January 2018 at 1:38pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item