Story file
Windows application (.exe)
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)

I Think The Waves Are Watching Me

by Bob McCabe

In a mysterious, dream-like world, enormous tidal waves have surrounded an island -- trapping you along with many others. And then the killing starts. What are you going to do? Better decide quickly. You have two hours left and the clock is ticking.

This game contains random stories, random people, random outcomes, and "achievements" that make it highly replayable and rewards you with multiple endings.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: qkmbakc8sta6e35b

31st Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
A story of paranoia, mystery and a bizarre improvised currency.

A bizarre game with great depth and replay value and tricky UI, April 5, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This was one of the few IFComp 2015 games that I never reviewed. On my old laptop, it wouldn't even run; every page of text would be immediately erased.

It works on my new laptop, though. And what an unusual game it is.

It runs in a command-prompt type window, and uses single-letter commands with occasional typing of names and numbers.

It is a surreal game, with huge standing waves surrounding a 25-location town and people getting murdered left and right, each murder announced by red lightning.

A hallucinogenic bunny hops around guiding you.

I've never come close to finding the murderer, but I've discovered many of the game's secrets over my 4 playthroughs. The best involved a tightly-timed sequence at a bar leading to a length CYOA sequence.

This is a game with several flaws, such as the fact that you can't scroll back through text due to it disappearing, and it's incredibly easy to hit a button and miss a whole page of text. There is no save command.

But these flaws enhance it; it makes you approach the game more cautiously. This game is a masterpiece in a way. But it requires length play.

If you enjoyed I Think The Waves Are Watching Me...

People who like I Think The Waves Are Watching Me also gave high ratings to these games:

Mite, by Sara Dee

Eric's Gift, by Joao Mendes
Eric's Gift - A short interactive story about painting the future.

Taghairm, by Chandler Groover
"Perhaps the most horrible of all recorded magical spells." Cruelty. Violence. Sounds. Headphones recommended.

The following polls include votes for I Think The Waves Are Watching Me:

Your favorite homebrew parser by MathBrush
Homebrew games don't get a lot of love here, but some of them are pretty good. What is your favorite homebrew game?

Procedurally generated IF by verityvirtue
Looking for IF which uses procedural generation (? I'm not a programmer) to derive its writing, story, etc.

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible games of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

This is version 4 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 January 2016 at 5:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item