Story file
Windows application (.exe)
Windows Application (Windows XP and later)

I Think The Waves Are Watching Me

by Bob McCabe

In a mysterious, dream-like world, enormous tidal waves have surrounded an island -- trapping you along with many others. And then the killing starts. What are you going to do? Better decide quickly. You have two hours left and the clock is ticking.

This game contains random stories, random people, random outcomes, and "achievements" that make it highly replayable and rewards you with multiple endings.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: qkmbakc8sta6e35b

31st Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
A story of paranoia, mystery and a bizarre improvised currency.

A bizarre game with great depth and replay value and tricky UI, April 5, 2018
Related reviews: 2-10 hours
This was one of the few IFComp 2015 games that I never reviewed. On my old laptop, it wouldn't even run; every page of text would be immediately erased.

It works on my new laptop, though. And what an unusual game it is.

It runs in a command-prompt type window, and uses single-letter commands with occasional typing of names and numbers.

It is a surreal game, with huge standing waves surrounding a 25-location town and people getting murdered left and right, each murder announced by red lightning.

A hallucinogenic bunny hops around guiding you.

I've never come close to finding the murderer, but I've discovered many of the game's secrets over my 4 playthroughs. The best involved a tightly-timed sequence at a bar leading to a length CYOA sequence.

This is a game with several flaws, such as the fact that you can't scroll back through text due to it disappearing, and it's incredibly easy to hit a button and miss a whole page of text. There is no save command.

But these flaws enhance it; it makes you approach the game more cautiously. This game is a masterpiece in a way. But it requires length play.

If you enjoyed I Think The Waves Are Watching Me...

People who like I Think The Waves Are Watching Me also gave high ratings to these games:

Wishbringer, by Brian Moriarty
It's an ordinary day in your ordinary little town, and you've been performing your ordinary mail clerk's duties in an altogether ordinary way. But there's something quite extraordinary in today's mail. It's a ransom note for a kidnapped...

You Are Here, by Roy Fisher
"Dragons. Demons. Undead. An adventurer's perils are many. But in the world of MUDs, nothing is more dangerous than electronic sex... "You Are Here" is a short, simple diversion promoting "MultiUserDungeon", a multimedia theatre...

Gun Mute, by C.E.J. Pacian
Step into the shoes of Mute Lawton, a lone cowboy who must stop an execution set to occur at noon by shooting his way past dangerous cyborgs and mutants in a post-apocalyptic western setting. (From the IndieGames.com review.) Gun Mute is...

The following polls include votes for I Think The Waves Are Watching Me:

Procedurally generated IF by verityvirtue
Looking for IF which uses procedural generation (? I'm not a programmer) to derive its writing, story, etc.

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible games of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Game in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not mentioned here will...

Your favorite homebrew parser by MathBrush
Homebrew games don't get a lot of love here, but some of them are pretty good. What is your favorite homebrew game?

This is version 4 of this page, edited by CMG on 7 January 2016 at 5:53pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item