Our Boys in Uniform

by Megan Stevens

First Publication Date: September 29, 2013
TUID: qgyhzznz7r5p64eq

27th Place - 19th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2013)

Not my type of game, November 29, 2013
I don't love twine games, except when they are exceptionally well-done.

In this case, the game has a second strike for me--it presents heavy-handed political opinions as facts.

While I largely agree with the author, and I imagine we'd have very agreeable discussions on politics, the US, and imperialism, I couldn't help but be turned off by the heavy-handed approach of requiring me to agree with the POV as presented in the story in order to continue. It felt artificial, and I didn't enjoy my experience.

I don't think this is a terrible game, and I can see it perhaps having a real impact on someone who doesn't think these things already, but as a committed liberal, it was a little too on-the-nose for me.

A heavy game twine game about the horror of war, July 24, 2016
This twine game consists of several accounts from World War II, some real, some otherwise. Every page has a bunch of blue links. One link is a 'truth', and moves the story forward. One link is a 'lie', and sends you back to the very beginning of the game.

This is very obnoxious, making you have to restart the entire game at various times. Part of this is to reinforce the meaninglessness of propaganda. The text of this game is heavy, and dark.

Interesting concept, January 7, 2014
by Simon Deimel (Germany)
When I started this and saw the first page, I just thought, "Oh no, what is this gonna be? A history lesson?" I am not a history buff, because what history teaches is more or less the history of politics, but I prefer the anthropologic aspects.
But to my own surprise I found this very short piece not that bad. It is not fiction, but has educational approaches. The concept is simple: try to find truth and lies within history as it was recorded. I found pleasure in checking out the highlighted words. It is a clever idea.
In the end it was a pity that this piece is very short. It could be expanded. Other continents could be included. There are many possibilities.

If you enjoyed Our Boys in Uniform...