Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness

by Design Imps

Humor, Horror, Lovecraft

Fhtagn! – Tales of the Creeping Madness is a choose-your-own-adventure mini-game where you can play as one of four cultists intent on releasing the Ancient One. Decide how you will be preparing for the ritual by visiting various locations in an unsuspecting town and navigating iconic Lovecraftian events. Battle investigators, gangs, corrupt cops and horrors from the Depths to bring about the end of the world!

Fhtagn! is intended to be a short, replayable game where you experience ludicrous, action-packed and hilarious stories in a Lovecraftian setting.

This text-based adventure game boasts:
• 51 000 words.
• Across 84 events with 267 potential story outcomes.
• Fulfil 1 of 8 roles with 22 role feedback stories.
• 66 different character endings.

We also believe that the community can write better stories than we can and so we created a Content Creator where you can create your own stories for the game and play it. All that is needed is a story idea and no programming is required. The community has already added a few mods.

To kickstart your creation process, we have created quick links that include:

• Quick start video guide
• Content Creator Guide
• All of the Fhtagn’s event stories

Check out our Content Creator forum post on our Steam page for more information on this.

We’re also currently working on the ‘Dark Young’ update, that will contain a new Ancient One, more stories, ritual items, new game modifiers and more investigators!

First Publication Date: May 22, 2018
Current Version: 1.0.9
License: Commercial
Development System: Custom
TUID: qd1mk41lxt8g37fq

Splattercat gaming
Hilarious video play-through of Fhtagn!
This video showcases what you can expect of the text adventure that is Fhtagn!

The Mad Welshman
Fhtagn! Tales of the Creeping Madness review
As such… It’s tightly designed, fun to play with friends, got a lot of humour and charm, and you can make new content for it? That’s two squamous appendages up, Fhtagn!

An entertaining fusion of Lovecraftian horror with the roaring twenties, July 18, 2018
I received a review copy of this game, and played through a couple of games.

This is a single- or multi-player board game that goes through 6 rounds. In each of the six rounds, you are trying to increase your 7 stats. These stats allow you to pass challenges. In the end, you see if your stats will qualify you for a 'role', determining if you win or not. The roles have 2 hidden stat requirements which you must guess from their descriptions.

I've played many commercial IF games in the last couple of years, and I would put this one in the top tier in terms of polish. The music, graphics, animations, and overall presentation are professional and engaging.

Writing-wise, I was strongly reminded of Fallen London in its more humorous sidequests. You are playing as a cultist each time. A good amount of text was repeated on two playthroughs, more repetition than is typical for a pure text game, but less repetition than I'm used to in a board game. It allows for mods (several of which are already developed), which increases the replay value.

The game was charming and funny. I found myself excited by the game map with its bouncy art of classic locations like an old town hall, an asylum, a speakeasy, etc.

The interaction was a little fiddly. It took me two playthroughs and two readings of the tutorial to fully understand what was going on, and I'm not really convinced of the 'elder sign' mechanic. The game doesn't tell you how to pass certain tests, including the test to see if you win, but you can spend elder signs to see what tests include. Replay also helps you know what tests require.

However, I enjoyed both of my playthroughs. Because I hadn't paid for the game, I considered what price I'd pay for the game. I thought, "Is this $20 range like Sunless Skies? Because that would be pretty steep." When I saw it was $4.99, I thought, "That's more than fair for the price you're paying."

So if you're a fan of Lovecraftian references, gothic humor, Ruby Gloom-style art, or complex board games like Arkham Asylum, this is a good game for you.

If you enjoyed Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness...

People who like Fhtagn! - Tales of the Creeping Madness also gave high ratings to these games:

SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD!, by Xalavier Nelson Jr.
SCREW YOU, BEAR DAD! is a game about puns, rampant drug use, learning to enjoy life despite uncertainty, and elderly women in attack helicopters. Also - bears. [Note: game contains strong language, and brief scenes depicting familial...

No Room, by Ben Heaton

Zork, by Tim Anderson, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, and Dave Lebling
Also known as Dungeon.

This is version 1 of this page, edited by Design Imps on 18 July 2018 at 7:18am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item